New Addition to the shop and new wood worker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I picked up a new Jet lathe from Elliot a couple weeks ago and just got it up and running in the shop. My son had done some turning in his middle school so this was a tool addition to get him in the shop.

He was out there giving it a try last night and making some saw dust (broken wrist is non-woodworking related:eusa_clap).

He wants to learn to make some pens so I'll be looking for some coaching . . .

Attachments

• DSCN1874.jpg
    DSCN1874.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 214

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's awesome, I am very glad to see young folks taking up the craft, and especially happy to hear that there is still some Shop Class in schools in this area. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to help me in the shop a bit. She has already helped me with sanding a pen...she's very proud of it.
Dave:)

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
That's awesome Rick. Very refreshing to see these days.:icon_thum As for the lathe, some suckage is in order.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

toolman

New User
Chad
Great lathe!!!! How old is your son? I have a 13yr old, he wanted to turn a pen on my new lathe. Well if I want too do any turning I will have to buy a other lathe, He has taken over the one I have.. It's great to do woodworking with your son or daughter. In joy the time it flys very fast..

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Congrats! That is a great tool. I first used one at the NC State Craft Center last year. I was a bit skeptical at first, mainly due to its size. Soon enough I was won over with its capabilities. Good luck and many happy hours of turning.

BTW - nice to see your son using safety glasses. It is never too early to teach and stress working safely ...

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Rick,

Congrats on the new tool. I do think, however, that having your son working with you in the shop is even better news. I build on Saturdays and one of my daughters worked with me every Saturday for almost 3 years. It was absolutely wonderful having her there, working with me.

As to the shop classes... I had a group work with me one day a few years ago; it was the Leesville Road High School woodworkers club / class. They came out with their shop teacher. They were some of the best volunteers I've ever worked with.

Ray

Ralrick

New User
Rick
You're right about that Toolman. My son and daughter have been out there everynight this week once their homework is done. They are not too comfortable with some of the other tools, but they both seem to really like the lathe.

I'll be going out this weekend getting some pen kits and blanks. Any recommendation on pen size or which kits to start with? Do you need a different 'mandrel?' for each of the different pens that they sell? I just got the PSI catalog and they included a pen making DVD - we plan to watch that tonight.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
welcome to the additive world of turning. You only need 1 mandrel but there are different bushings for the for different type pens. I strongly recommend getting a barrel trimmer to square up the ends of your blanks.

rherrell

New User
Rick Herrell
Most people say to start out making slimlines but I'm not so sure if I agree with that. I think pens that only use one tube like the Sierra or the Caberra are easier and don't cost that much more. Whatever you do get extra tubes when you order your kits. Trust me, you'll need 'em!
As far as tools, a drill press and some sort of pen vise would be at the top of my list.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Most people say to start out making slimlines but I'm not so sure if I agree with that. I think pens that only use one tube like the Sierra or the Caberra are easier and don't cost that much more. Whatever you do get extra tubes when you order your kits. Trust me, you'll need 'em!
As far as tools, a drill press and some sort of pen vise would be at the top of my list.

I don't know where you get your kits but I buy slimlines with a premium plating for under $5.00, have you checked the price of a Sierra in Tg lately?

rherrell

New User
Rick Herrell
Sure have and if I was just beginning I wouldn't use kits with premium plating. Bear Tooth Woods has a chrome Sierra for $5.70 , chrome Cabara for $3.90 and a chrome Slimline for $2.90. Not alot of difference in my book.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Sure have and if I was just beginning I wouldn't use kits with premium plating. Bear Tooth Woods has a chrome Sierra for $5.70 , chrome Cabara for $3.90 and a chrome Slimline for $2.90. Not alot of difference in my book.

Though the trend in Mfgrs pens are going to "silver" colors many still prefer gold.
The Navigator from WC is not available in silver and only AS carries the Baron.
I didn't care for the ugly clunky Caberra when it came out 3 years ago as the Atlas,and Patriot from other suppliers.
I am not crazy about the Sierra which only displays 2&1/4 inches of wood,and mismatched design components. Why bother turning it?(It is a pricey kit for a "yellow quality plating"
There are those who don't care for silver colored pens.I don't consider chrome a "premium plating" even if it holds up better than the inexpensive gold kits.

MikeH

New User
Mike
That's awesome Rick. Congrats on getting him out in the shop. You'll treasure the time spent together for years to come!

frankson

New User
Jeff
Rick,

Our woodworking program's most popular tool is the lathe and the most popular project...pen turning - thanks in large part to the training delivered by NCWW's clowman (Clay) to our trainers.

It's great that your son is wearing his safety GOGGLES...it's very easy for kids to take them off for a look-see and forget to put them back on - intentionally or not.

FYI - we start lathe training by giving kids an 8 to 10" long piece of 2x4 that's been cut square. We introduce the basic tools so kids can try out the different tools and work on getting acclimated to the lathe. After that we generally work with them on a small baseball bat, honey dipper or magic wand...once again helping to refine technique and increase their comfort with the lathe (speed, tool rest/tail stock adjustments, etc). Next we'll offer them a choice of a wine stopper or a pen.

I know this seems painstakingly slow for a teenager but, in the process we work to refine technique, sanding skills and finishing so that when they turn a pen, it's one they can be happy with and/or sell it if they wish. The focus on patience, flexibility and quality seems never-ending but, the satisfaction us big guys get from watching the evolution is priceless.

Frankson

M

McRabbet

Rick and Jeff,

I applaud :eusa_clap your efforts to get all of your kids to wear safety glasses -- our eyes are one of our most precious assets and all too often, people don't make the effort to protect them! I can recall countless times I would chide workers on a large construction project I managed to wear theirs at all times, but all too often, they didn't have them on 8-O when performing even dangerous tasks:BangHead:. I would remind them that they only get one set of eyes and ears and needed to take every measure to protect them.

BTW, I wear safety glasses with side shields in my shop at all times.
It's great that your son is wearing his safety GOGGLES...it's very easy for kids to take them off for a look-see and forget to put them back on - intentionally or not.
Frankson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS