nested oak burl set finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Here are several pictures of the oak burl nested sets with 5 to 6 coats of waterlox on them. This is the largest set, the largest bowl of this set is right at 17" in dia.
Jack
100_1431.JPG

This is what the burl looks like in all the bowls.
100_1433.JPG

The grain in the largest bowl is neat where the trunk grew into the burl.
100_1435.JPG

100_1436.JPG

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Those are beautiful bowls, Jack. Love the burl!:icon_thum
How long does it take you to turn a set like that?
Thanks for sharing

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful bowls, Jack!!!:wsmile::icon_thum:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:wsmile:

Most definitely, keepers!

Wayne

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
W O W !!!
Jack those are phenominal
LOML wants a coring system, as do I. It always kills me to put so much of a piece on the ground as waste; burls or higher dollar woods especially so.

I've never used waterlox. Tell more about it?

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Here are a few pictures of a smaller nested set from the same burl. CaptnA, waterlox is a mix of tungoil and varnish. One can wipe it on using a lint free cloth, brush it on, or spray it on. It needs to dry a day between coats which you can put on as many as you need. It needs to dry for several weeks before you buff it. It is a finish that some use on hard wood floors so it should be very long lasting on a bowl. That is the reason I put it on these sets. I put marbles in the can as I use it so that I can kept the can running over when I put the cap back on. If you don't do something to keep the air out of the can it will set up on you before you can use it all.
Jack
100_1437.JPG

100_1438.JPG

100_1440.JPG

This last picture is of my turning shop, that I just finished painting between the rain showers we have been having.
100_1430.JPG

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks again everyone. Gritz, here is a picture of the burl before I cut it into blanks. I still have two large bowls and a nice hollow form drying from the same burl. I also have 4 slabs drying that will be turned into game calls next year out of this wonderfull burl.
Jack
100_1354.JPG

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Jack, that is an amazing looking set. Great job! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

I keep saying, "I've gotta get me one of those McNaughton coring systems!"

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Those bowls are beautiful. Now I can see why it is important to have a bowl coring tool. Guess I start saving the money again.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks again everyone. PChristy, I didn't have a scale that would weigh this burl. I weighed one last year that went over the 350 pounds on my scale and this one was a lot heavier than it, so I would say it went over 400 lbs.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS