Need efficient solution for cutting 120 tenons

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Working on another crib, this one with mortised slats. Unfortunately, I need to cut 120 tenons all sized at 1/2"x1/4"x3/4".

The count would be 160 tenons, but I managed to cut 20 slats 1" too short :icon_thum so I'll be giving those loose tenons with the slot mortiser.

These slats are on 1/2"t x 1"w x 5-19"l (length varies)

I made up a little sled jig to try gang cutting 8 or so at a time on the TS using a dado blade, but can't get a consistent depth of cut across all 8. Edit: heck, I can't even get proper depth of cut on two at a time. Might be a cumulative error - not sure.

Anybody have a good solution for batch cutting tenons on small parts ?

Edit: It occurs to me just now that maybe I need to remake the jig out of something rigid and un-warpable, like 1/4" Al plate ?

TIA,
-Mark

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Mark,
Maybe setting up a jig on a router table may work a little better. Or you could clamp a bunch together and use a router from above. I like using routers for tenons, but not making nearly as many as you.

Good Luck.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Mark,

Joe Scharle (the JigMaster:wsmile:) came up with this tenon cutting jig for the router table and it works great. Here are a couple of pictures of the jig.

It is extremely easy to build. (I used a 1/2" spiral upcut bit in the router.)
All you need is a sled (plywood), a square hardwood fence and a backerboard.

I can get the actual dimensions of mine and give you more details, if you are interested in building one.

It sounds like it may just be the application for you in this case. (I personally have a DowelMax doweling jig and I find that an application like this perfect as well.)

HTH,

Wayne

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I am not sure about which dimension is which in your explanation but it goes quickest if the amount you remove is the same on each face. Then you can use one setup to complete all 4 cuts on each tenon. It seems like maybe you are talking about taking 1/8 on two faces and 1/4 inch off on the ends but I am not sure. That takes two setups but is otherwise OK.

My favorite way to cut tenons is with a dado head on the table saw and I do one at a time. I got an Osborne for Christmas and that is what I use. I put a stop block on the table saw rip fence to butt up against to keep the length consistent (you do not want to use use the rip fence because you don't want the wood against the fence while you are cutting). I have also done something similar in the past using my router table in the horizontal mode. I find it handier to make these sort of cuts with the wood flat on the surface of the table. I have a miter gauge slot in the router table so I use it there too. The stop must be on the other end of things but the Osborne also has a built in stop so that is not too huge an issue. I like the hum of the table saw more than the scream of the router.

Even one at a time does not take all day if you can minimize the setups. Another thing you could consider is if you can make the slats out of one bigger board and do at least a couple cuts on it before splitting off the slats- but it sounds like you make have them cut already.

Jim

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Jimmy - clamping is one of the problems. The slats are only 1/2" wide and I'm finding that tight clamping makes them want to arch upwards just a little bit..but enough to throw off the depth of cut.

Maybe I can figure out some way to press them down tho..maybe a sprung caul to keep the slats in the middle pressed down. Then a router w. a straight edge. This has possibilities.

Wayne - if I understand the jig correctly, it requires each tenon to be cut in 4 passes. That's 480 passes.:tinysmile_cry_t:

Joe - thanks for the offer. Can the Woodrat cut a tenon in one continuous pass (with 120 tenons, the killer is the time to set/reset for each cut) ?

Dino/Bill - that's $6.67 a tenon. For that much, I'll whittle 'em with a pocketknife :rotflm:

-Mark

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When I was in my 20s I made 200 little wheels with 8 spokes in each wheel and two tenon cuts on each spoke. That's 3200 tenon cuts, it probably took less time than you are spending thinking about it.

Just do it.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wayne - if I understand the jig correctly, it requires each tenon to be cut in 4 passes. That's 480 passes.:tinysmile_cry_t:

-Mark

That's right Mark.

As suggested earlier, if the stock was not cut, you could do the cheeks a bunch at a time with a stacked dado, then rip the slats. Then using Joe's jig, cut the shoulders with the jig - 120 passes.:dontknow:

BTW.... Joe's Woodrat is one sweet setup for something like this!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Wayne

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Silly question: could you use floating tenons? Then you can roughly dimension some stock, cut to length, and fine tune the fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS