"Nature's Majesty" - another challenging piece to cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
Here are some pictures of the piece titled "Nature's Majesty". It is about 9" tall and 7".wide. I used PS #2 precision ground blades. I haven't sanded them (cut three) and won't until they are secured to a backing.

The first two are from QS Sycamore:

the next is a close up of the smaller horse:

The third is one cut from plywood - might be a little easier to see the detail:

JohnW

New User
John
WOW...Absolutly beautiful...I really like the texture the QS sycamore adds to your work.

I am amazed by your talent...Thanks for sharing it.

John W

sapwood

New User
Roger
Giddy up, yea ha!!!
Cathy, when I enlarged those photos the detail was almost overwhelming. :notworthy:

Oh yeah, the pixs are great too!
Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oh my Gawd, that is too cool. I really like the how the figure of the QS Sycamore enhances the pattern. Cathy you may have outdone yourself this time. Can you raise the bar any higher?
Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great job Cathy. I like the way you worked the grain into the project. How thick is the wood blanks you used?

[pie]You really did set the bar high[/pie]

:notworthy:

cskipper

Cathy
I'll try to find something a little more challenging :BangHead: (yeah, right) next time :laugh:

cskipper

Cathy
Great job Cathy. I like the way you worked the grain into the project. How thick is the wood blanks you used?

[pie]You really did set the bar high[/pie]

:notworthy:

I cut three. The maple was about 1/2", the Sycamore about 3/8" and the bb plywood was 1/4" thick. The only reason for those thicknesses is that it was wood I had available. If I had read the instructions (so often with these kind of patterns they recommend thicker wood) I would have realized that the pattern maker recommended thin wood, though I don't really know why.

J

jeff...

I blew up the first photo to get a good look at the detail. oh my God... is what I said. You even a hit dark grain streak in the grain for the little horse to stand on, that carried through to a lighter shade into the nose on the bigger horse. Wow talking about reading the wood...

sawduster

New User
Robert
Bravo Cathy ! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap That is some serious thickness to chew through ! In what order did you stack the wood ? I have some QS sycamore that is an inch thick and that stuff has proven to be quite challenging to cut without burning or bowing the blade. Excellent work on the veining and use of the grain :icon_thum
Smooth as moonbeams :eusa_clap
Do you top feed or bottom feed ?
Top notch all the way around :notworthy::notworthy:

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks. The Sycamore was on top since it's the wood I cared most about. The maple next and then the plywood. Wrapped completely in delicate painters tape . One things was kind of strange. I used #2 PS wood precision ground blades. When I was dong some areas that didn't require that small of a blade I tried out #3 and #5 skip and double-tooth blades. The #W's cut the smoothest and easiest. Had the total thickness been less that would have surprised me

I have always fed from the bottom, even on my old Delta. I used to cross-stitched, so that's been an easy transition.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Her Majesty does Nature's Majesty. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

When are you going to start teaching? You are amazing my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS