My FIRST segmented piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
OK, I am a rookie at segmented turning, and in fact, I just finished my first one. Not a traditional segmented piece with stacks of horizontal rows, but still segmented. The blank started as 2X2X4" piece. Opposite sides of figural cherry and figural white oak, separated by a thin veneer strip of black walnut.

AMPHORAblank.JPG

After turning, this shows two different views. There is NO finish on it right now. It is just the wood, sanded to 2000 grit. Height is 3". The center hole was drilled with a 7/8" Forsner bit, then beveled for the top rim as thin as I dared to go. It is the size of a toothpick holder, but could also be used as a small posey vase with some small silk or straw flowers in it, like little Lilies of the Valley blooms.

Dave Peterson

AMPHORA3inch.JPG

cskipper

Cathy
Very nicely done! I really like the dark contrast pieces - they do a great job in accenting the different woods.

T

toolferone

Cool, I really like it. I had no idea as to size until you told us.

eyekode

New User
Salem
That turned out nice! No tear out on all that nasty (beautiful) grain. I would 't have guessed the size either.
Salem

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice job, Dave, but I'm a little worried about you. You've now placed one foot over the edge of a very slippery slope, w/ no bottom in sight. Some day you'll be posting pics of gigantic vases and telling us how many thousands of pieces are in it. GO BACK, DAVE, GO BACK, before it's too late. :rotflm:

Seriously, very nice work. I might even be inspired to something like that.

Bill

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
Nice job, Dave, but I'm a little worried about you. You've now placed one foot over the edge of a very slippery slope, w/ no bottom in sight. Some day you'll be posting pics of gigantic vases and telling us how many thousands of pieces are in it. GO BACK, DAVE, GO BACK, before it's too late. :rotflm:

Seriously, very nice work. I might even be inspired to something like that.

Bill

Bill: I am taking very very small baby steps. My turning skills are improving on the small stuff, but even normal turnings on medium/large pieces is difficult. I have a good stash of exotics/burls that I have been collecting, but they are still too green. I am stocking up so when my skills improve, I will have some good wood to turn. I have go to my neighbor's house when I need something planed. We don't double-up on some of the more expensive and seldom used equipment in the shop. He comes over and uses my drill press, for example. I wanted to try this little vase just to practice my skills. I shaped this piece in a classic amphora vase shape, and with no reference to size in the picture, it is deceiving. It is only three inches tall. And....as we all know...smaller does not necessarily make it easier.

Dave

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
Dave, you did a great job on that! what kind of finish did you put on it?

In the picture, there is NO finish on it at all! just sanding to 2000 grit. I have since put on one coat of walnut oil, and then put it under the UV BLACKLIGHT to cure it so it hardens. It did not change the color hardly at all.

Dave

edspec

New User
steve
Beautiful vase!

That would look realy nice in a collectable cabinet, possiably with some turned wooden flowers in it. But it's great just by itself.

If you want to practice with the skew, wooden flowers are fun. Here is a link to a utube video that I found interesting.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JWWw5HHzvFw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors