Mortise Chisel & Bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
It appears that my set of mortise chisel/bits have about had it for my Delta 651 hollow chisel mortiser.:roll:

Can anyone tell me if the original Delta set is worth sharpening? I have seen mortise chisel sharpeners out there, but not sure if that is worth a try or should I just invest in a better set (one bit at a time).

If I have to replace them (one bit at a time please), what would you recommend I look at?

TIA

Wayne

T

toolferone

Woodcraft sells a fairly inexpencive sharpening kit I would get either way. You can practice on the Delta ones. A english company "Clico" I think makes really nice really expencive ones. Fisch used to make the better Delta ones, so you might look at them.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks Tom.

I will try the sharpener out. The Clico at about $99 a bit is wee too steep for this old retiree!!:swoon::swoon:

I will keep my eyes peeled for one of the Delta sets at a reasonable price.

Thanks a bunch!

Wayne

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
From what I can tell, most if not all are interchangeable. I use my extra Delta bits in my jet mortiser.

I bought a sharpener like Tom is speaking of at Rockler when they were going out of business in Greensboro. I have used it and can tell a difference in the quality of cutting.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
.............I bought a sharpener like Tom is speaking of at Rockler when they were going out of business in Greensboro. I have used it and can tell a difference in the quality of cutting.

This is encouraging, Travis. :wsmile:

I was out to Woodworkers Supply today and they didn't carry a sharpener. I went online and ordered a sharpener from Rockler.

I will give that a whirl before I go bit shopping again!

Thanks again!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors