Not open for further replies.

Nativespec

New User
David
IMG_2376.JPG

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Looks great. What are you going to use for the cushions? I built one a few years ago. It was a fun project. It will make you appreciate a Morticer.

Nativespec

New User
David
ACME Furniture in Raleigh is going to do it in leather (chocolate) and he suggested foam and webbing-no springs. I will be building a foot rest as well.

This was the most difficult thing I have built so far but I enjoyed the challange.

Thanks,

David

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That, Sir, is a chair! But please, details. Details! Material, construction, finish, a picture is worth a 1,000 words, but so are a 1,000 words!

Outstanding work. That's the kind of chair in which you can relax, read a good book, or write your memoirs. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Nativespec

New User
David
BAS:

It is cherry with a poly and wax finish. The construction was assisted with the Domino and the lower thru tenons are fakes (and were probably more difficult to make than the real thing because of the way they are mortised in). The top tenons in the arms are real and that is where a lot of time was spent. I altered the Stickly design by using vertical back rails instead of steam bent wood-not gonna steam bend unless I build a wooden ship on day.

It was fun (at times) and there was plenty of finish time involved.

I will probably never build another one.

David

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Davd:

Glad you posted this. I was impressed when I saw it in person. I think a close-up of the front of the armrest with the tenon would really show the detail as well as the beautiful finish you created.

Doug

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
David,

It looks great, where are you going to use it. I thought that you previously said that your bed room was mission style. Anyway, finish the ottoman and really start enjoying it.

Or did I get it wrong, and it's really your new shop stool:lol:.

Jimmy

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
David,

That looks GREAT! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm not a hundred percent sure what a mortiser is, but I think I'd probably need one to take on something like that. :rotflm: Great job! :icon_thum

Trent :icon_bigg

Nativespec

New User
David
It will be in the bedroom
eventually. I have not had time to get it to the furniture shop.

Thanks,

David

sapwood

New User
Roger
David,
That is one fine looking chair :thumbsup:
And a peek behind it reveals a shop with character!

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
David, that's an awesome chair, I bet it will be mighty comfortable once you get the seat upholstered. Is the back crest rail curved, or is it just a trick of the camera?

Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful chair, David!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I simply cannot imagine how much frustration I would have with all of those mortises!!:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I too really like the cherry:icon_thum:icon_thum! The finish looks really swell too. Hope to see another pic when it gets upholstered!

Fine work!

Wayne

Nativespec

New User
David
Thanks for all the raves. I will post a photo when it is leatherized-got to get thru tax season first.

David

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I don't know who Morris is, but he is gonna fall in love with the chair you made him. :rotflm: :rotflm:

I REALLY like it, great job! :icon_thum

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors