More refinishing spindle leg tips.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Yet another tip.

History, stripped and refinishing a drop leaf table for the LOML.

Prob? 6 legs and 8 stretchers, all turned. Beads, coves, the whole nine yards.

The stripper did a good job, but ever try to sand spindles off the lathe..... A FREAK'N NIGHTMARE.

In the end, here is the trick...... Steel wool.

I started with 0000, and it was not right. In frustration I moved up to the coarse #3, bingo.

It did a great job of smoothing the spindles and taking out the scratches. Beat the pants off sanding which was nearly impossible.

Jim

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
A boatload of thanks for this tip. I have refinished many chairs, tables, beds in the past, and this is always the worst part. No easy way for power tools to ease this task. Just sore fingers and lots of sandpaper strips. Will get a couple of packages this weekend.
Again thanks.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I didn't find any scratches.

The wood itself is rather soft, and I expected to find some.

My take on steel wool is its more like mini-scrapers as opposed to sandpaper cutting.

Thanks,
Jim

Glennbear

Glenn
Steel wool is great for nooks and crannies but can be problematic if followed by waterborne refinishing materials :eusa_doh: DAMHIKT :BangHead:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'd agree whole heartedly. The machine oil left in steel wool can be a hidden disaster!

From what I read, many steel wools are extra oily to prevent rust.

I did pick up some low oil steel wool from Woodworkers Supply.

The other thing I haven't tried, that I might next, are synthetic scotch brite pads.

Jim

Glennbear

Glenn
I'd agree whole heartedly. The machine oil left in steel wool can be a hidden disaster!

From what I read, many steel wools are extra oily to prevent rust.

I did pick up some low oil steel wool from Woodworkers Supply.

The other thing I haven't tried, that I might next, are synthetic scotch brite pads.

Jim

The other concern with SW is tiny bits of metal left behind become BIG rust marks if a waterbased finish is used. Think about how metal grows when iron becomes iron oxide :no:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors