Moisture Meter???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
What is the best moisture meter I can buy for app. $100?

I think I have REALLY overspent my budget for Christmas this year (ref. new shop) but maybe I could convince LOML that I deserve a fairly good mositure meter. :gar-La;

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The mini lignomat works fine, try ebay, I bought a used one in good condition for $50.

Good Luck.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's funny I was just getting ready create a thread asking opinions on a couple moisture meters. With Xmas coming my folks need my list.
I am looking at either the Delmhorst J-lite http://www.amazon.com/Delmhorst-J-L...ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1226542253&sr=1-9 for around $145 or the Lignomat Mini-ligno E http://www.amazon.com/Lignomat-MINI...ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1226542253&sr=1-6 for around $105.
Is either one better than the other??
I would suspect that both would work better than the HF model I have now. Today it gave me different readings on the same board. Yesterday it gave no readings :eusa_doh:
Any opinions on which I should place on my list???

Dave:)

J

jeff...

I've been experimenting with a low cost alternative to the good ole electric MM. You know this is the age of "Green" so I've been experimenting with a variety of natural substances to accurately determine the moisture content of lumber. My first attempt was a complete and utter failure, so was my second and third but I won't let that stop me. Rome weren't built in a day and De Nile ain't just a river in Egypt you know?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Supposedly, all of the professionals use Delmhorsts. But I think that is at the higher end. I'm not sure how much of a difference there is in the meters used by hobbyists.

MikeL

New User
Michael
The guys I worked with used Delmhorst, but they also used the sliding hammer electrode (another $100) to get a deeper reading.

For the money, I'd go with the Ligno. It's on my wish list.

J

jeff...

The guys I worked with used Delmhorst, but they also used the sliding hammer electrode (another $100) to get a deeper reading.

For the money, I'd go with the Ligno. It's on my wish list.

Things just work better with a hammer don't they?

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
We sell this little bugger it works pretty well and is only $ 79.

MOISTECPromoLg.jpg

http://www.factorynew.com/detail.aspx?recnum=TG-300009&CatID=TG&MachType=105&pos=0

They also sell them at Baileys and I've seen one eerily similar at Harbor Freight at times. Although the supplier swears they aren't the same ones.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Dolan,

I have the Delmhorst J-LITE. I think I got it on sale for around $110 about a year ago.

It is a good little meter. With it being a pinned meter, it is tough getting it into a red oak facegrain:BangHead:, so I usually just check at a fresh cut endgrain.

Wayne

thrytis

New User
Eric
If you aren't in a rush, keep an eye on the Delmhorst J-lite price. At the moment at $145 it is at the highest it has been on Amazon, but i picked it up a year ago at $77. I'm pretty sure i've seen it drop below $100 more recently.

I can't compare with the Lignomat though as i have never used one.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I have a Delmhorst J Lite that does a good job for me. Be sure to check E Bay and Amazon for used meters.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I have a Ligno and it works great. It is a couple of years old and I believe the newer ones have a digital readout, not the series of lights mine has. Wish I had the newer one too.:dontknow:

Doug

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
I had the same needs. I buy and air dry a lot of my wood from a friend with a sawmill. I never knew when it was dry. I just started a project with some of the cherry. Decided I had to have a moisture meter. Searched ebay for awhile and ended up placing 2 bids on 2 different meters. Didn't expect to win both. One is a pin style (Mini-Lig) and the Merlin is pinless. So, I use the pinless for finished lumber and the pin for unfinished stock. Both read very close to the same each time I have tried them to compare readings. I researched the Merlin before bidding, it is made in Switzerland and list over $300, got it for $84 and the Mini-Lig for $53. So, maybe you could get lucky and get a deal through an auction. I do use the Merlin more often, especially with milled lumber. No pin holes!
Merlin.JPG

Mini-Lig53.jpg

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I can't speak to the ligo, but Delmhorst products are the industry standard for Kiln operators. Durable, consistent and accurate - period.

The slide hammer option is only needed for 8/4 or larger stock, and it can be added to most of their meters at any time.

Redhawk - the Merlin meter is also world class. They make a wide variety of them that are application specific (veneer, rough sawn, thick wood, cabinet maker, kiln operator, etc). You got an incredible deal on yours too!

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS