moderate priced rip blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkpinsc

New User
Tod Parks
What are some of the popular 10" rip blades for a 3hp cabnet saw. Price, ease of cut and glue line quality of cut are my priorities. Don't care about kerf thickness or a flat bottom cut. I have always used a combo blade but I currently have six or seven hundred feet of cherry to rip. It was poor quality but nearly free because it has numerous splits and shakes I need to cut out. I've got a job that will use all of it.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I've had good results from Freud blades. I just bought a new LM72R010 24 tooth rip blade from Amazon for $51 and change with free shipping.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I've had good results from Freud blades. I just bought a new LM72R010 24 tooth rip blade from Amazon for $51 and change with free shipping.

This one is not branded as a "glue line" rip blade but will it produce one??

LloydP

New User
Lloyd
I just got on of the Freud LU87R010 blades just before Xmas. For the money - a good blade. It seems to rip better than a Woodworker II blade.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I prefer the silver ones.....:gar-La; I think the red ones are thin kerf? I despise thin kerf blades.

The LM72R010 is a full kerf (.126) blade with the red (permashield) coating.

The LU87R010 is the thin kerf (.094) version with the red (permashield) coating.

The coated silver blades use a coating called Silver ICE. Don't really know what the difference is.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
FREUD hmmmmmmmmmmm did I mention FREUD?

Fred the SILVER ones are ICE coating and are made in thin kerf :gar-Bi and R GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Trust me I do know I gots em in boff colors :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
+1 on the Freud Glue-Line (LU87R010 ) rip blade.

Just finished ripping a bunch of QSRO with one and nary a single burn mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Cut like butter. (Oh ya, I use nothing but thin kerf blades without an issue.)

Wayne

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
FREUD hmmmmmmmmmmm did I mention FREUD?

Fred the SILVER ones are ICE coating and are made in thin kerf :gar-Bi and R GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Trust me I do know I gots em in boff colors :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

didn't know they made em in thin kerf. chrome is kewl....:rotflm: I have some thin blades and I use them because I can't throw em away but as they were out they get replaced with full kerf.:gar-Bi I have enough HP to run em and I don't use stabilizers.:gar-La; the operation I'm doing dictates what blade i will use.:icon_thum

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the Freud LM74M010 (30t, full kerf silver glue-line rip). Does fine in thinner woods up to an inch +. I was getting some marks in 2 1/2" wood, and Tom (toolferone) educated me that it is for the thinner woods. They make an industrial quality (red) one that is designed for the thicker woods. So it makes a difference in what thickness wood you need to make the glue-line cuts in. Hopefully Tom will chime in with the right specs.

Not to say that this blade does not do a fine job ripping thick lumber on my little 1 1/2hp saw, but the edge needs a little smoothing on the thick stuff for me to get the fine edge I want for glue-up.

You can get both silver and red in the full kerf blades. The red is a little tougher coating if I understand it, but evidently there are some other tooth grind differences, also. I have both thin and thick kerf, silver and red, and other than what I stated above, have been very happy with every Freud blade I have bought.

JMTCW

Go

bwat

New User
Bill
Another vote here for Freud. Like the Glue Line Rip and HD Rip, awesome blades and well worth the price.:icon_thum

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Does the HD rip give up anything when going through thin wood vs the glue line rip? Perhaps the HD rip could fit the bill for an all-purpose glue line rip blade??

bwat

New User
Bill
IMHO...the Freud Heavy Duty Rip is best for just that - thick or dense stock and lots of ripping. Although minor differences on clean blades with enough power behind them, no blade I have used will produce as clean an edge off the saw as the Glue Line Rip.

Glennbear

Glenn
I have used both combo and rip Freud blades in red and ICE and have been pleased with all. :wsmile:

T

toolferone

The Glue-line rip is a triple chip grind and the 24t HD rip is a flat tooth design. If you are ripping over 1" use the 24t HD rip. It will do a better job. The red Permasheild coating is a lower friction surface then the Silver Ice The Silver Ice does a real good job on heat reflection, probably more important on power feed or cnc machines with faster feed rates. I feel the Permasheild is a better coating for us. No Fred the red does not mean think kerf :) The Glueline rip has a thicker plate to help with blade deflection to maintain that smooth Straight cut needed for glueups. I have heard from many folks in my travels that feel our HD rip is their favorite rip blade and go straight to glue up with it.

Hope this helps.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
The Glue-line rip is a triple chip grind and the 24t HD rip is a flat tooth design. If you are ripping over 1" use the 24t HD rip. It will do a better job. The red Permasheild coating is a lower friction surface then the Silver Ice The Silver Ice does a real good job on heat reflection, probably more important on power feed or cnc machines with faster feed rates. I feel the Permasheild is a better coating for us. No Fred the red does not mean think kerf :) The Glueline rip has a thicker plate to help with blade deflection to maintain that smooth Straight cut needed for glueups. I have heard from many folks in my travels that feel our HD rip is their favorite rip blade and go straight to glue up with it.

Hope this helps.

Can I still get a good glue line with the HD with ~1/2" - 3/4" stock; most of my work is with 3/4" stock on up?

Thanks

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
FREUD,didn't know anybody else made saw blades :gar-La; :gar-La; definatly get what you pay for :icon_cheers

terry1166

New User
Terry
I can vouch for the LM74R010 blade which is a 30 tooth .118" kerf glue line rip blade made glue line rip up to 1" thickness lumber. The cuts made with this blade are slick. I even used this blade once to rip some short 12" lengths of 8/4 cherry and it did a good job but I wouldn't normally use it to rip much lumber at that thickness. For thicker lumber I use the LM72R010, 24 tooth blade but it is does not seem to be classified by Freud as a glue line rip blade. The LM72R010 kerf is a full 1/8" or better kerf (actually .126"). The LM72R010 is also a flat tooth blade that is handy for cutting flat bottom slots for splines, etc.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS