Mini lathe opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad4est

New User
Canuck
Can anyone give me a first hand opinion of a Grizzly Mini Lathe - Model G9247? I am looking for a starter lathe and wondering if this might be winner.

Brad

kernnal

New User
Eric
Just saw one on CL for $140. Was wondering if it would be worth the drive to Elizabeth City? :dontknow:

Can't really find any decent information on the web concerning this model number.

Am also looking for a 'starter' lathe.

thanks for the input

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Space permitting, I'm firmly in the camp of the Harbor Freight 34706 as a first lathe. (Try a search on 34706, we've had this very discussion many times before :)

Its not perfect, but gives you quite a lot to get started with.

The gotcha with a midi/mini lathe is you can outgrow it quickly. Many folks keep the midi as a dedicated pen lathe.

Jim

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Brad,
+1 for the Harbor Freight lathe it was my first, I enjoyed turning so much I upgraded to a Jet. I sold mine on CL and didn't lose much. The one in my link is not the one I had first, it's a 5 speed, and a close clone to my Jet lathe. Jim

erasmussen

New User
RAS
This is the harbor freight lathe in action.
560a.jpg

brad4est

New User
Canuck
Earl, that is amazing. I can only dream of being able to make a piece like that one. Which HF lathe is that? It doesn't look like a starter unit.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
... Which HF lathe is that? It doesn't look like a starter unit.

Brad,

It is the HF 34706 that is in Earl's photo. This one ...

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html

I purchased one off of Craigslist about 3 years or so ago for $125. It has run pretty well for me. I am certainly not into the heavy work that Earl amazes us with though.

I would certainly recoomend it as a starter unit if you should spot a used one.

Wayne

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
I have no first hand opinion so I should keep my mouth/fingers shut.
But.. Looking at the specs here http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9247
1st the note: discontinued…maybe they are closing them out
2nd Motor 1/4hp 2.6amps Think you may have a problem with most items over 6” diameter in stopping the lathe with a minor catch. Motor speeds 300-4750? Be nice to see one, is there much torque at slow speeds?
3rd Tapers. 1MT while accessories are available, 2MT is more the standard even with mini lathes.
4th Spindle: I think the 1X8, which many have, allows you much more freedom for off-the-shelf items.
That said, it is in the Pen Making Items of the catalog, not the Lathe section. For pens and bottle stoppers it is probably fine.

brad4est

New User
Canuck
As always, lots of good info. And I need it as I am new to all of this and value any and all opinions and information. Thanks very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS