Micro mesh pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I've made about 4 pens since my visit with skeeter and I'm starting to notice a pattern. When I sanded to 600 with regular sandpaper and stopped there, the CA glue always ended up just fine. Whenever I used micromesh pads, the glue turned out terribly. :BangHead:

At first I thought it was the glue, but now I think it might have something to do with the micromesh pads. I bought the variety pack from WC in Charlotte and only use the lowest two grits. Then clean up the blanks with mineral spirits, then finish with CA. For some reason the glue seems to have little crystals in it and it actually ends up feeling more like sandpaper when its dry. When I stop at 600, though, I don't have that problem. What's the deal? :dontknow:

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Trent
I use 3 x 6 Micro mess sheets and cut them in half. I also use DNA I had trouble with mineral spirits in the past not grying fast enough. I use this recipe for my CA finish

From Clay

-1800 RPM-
Sand with 240, 320, 400 Grit papers.
Wipe down with denatured alcohol (DNA)

Apply a thin sealer coat of Thin CA with 400 grit paper.

New sheet of 400 grit smooth out.
Wipe down with DNA.

MM through 12000 (DNA as needed between coats to remove sanding debris. Usually between each three of the MM.)

Two coats of Myland's cellulose sanding sealer.
MM last four grits through 12000 again.

DNA
Slow lathe to 500 Rpm. ( or Slowest setting).-

Apply two coats thin CA with Costco Paper Shop towel.
Air dry only betweencoats (NO ACCELERATOR).

Apply Two Coats of Thick CA, as smoothly as possible.
Air dry betweencoats. (If you do need to use a light application of
ACC, I wait at least 1 minute after each CA application, and only
use the Aerosol from a distance. I don't have any issues with cloudiness
or bubbles this way. The pump ACC does not work for me)

-Speed lathe back up to 1800 RPM.-

Sand with 320 Grit(Sometimes 240 grit if I went crazy) to remove any ridges, swirls etc.

Sand with 400 grit.

DNA

MM through 12000.

DNA

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi Trent, I use micro mesh on all my pens but I never use it on the wood, I only use it on the CA finish to make it shine like glass, I have come across your problem 1 time with the micro mesh but again that was with the wood and not the CA finish.
Micro mesh was made to take out the scratches from the windshields of airplains so I have been told, by the way, 600 grit is good for the final sanding of the wood but if you can go to 1200 it would be a bit better, after I put the CA finsh on I only use micro mesh unless I need to take out a small error in the finish then I will use the 1200 wet or dry paper and go back to the micro mesh, I hope this helps, aloha.

Chris "Kalai"

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Hi Trent, I use micro mesh on all my pens but I never use it on the wood, I only use it on the CA finish to make it shine like glass, I have come across your problem 1 time with the micro mesh but again that was with the wood and not the CA finish.
Micro mesh was made to take out the scratches from the windshields of airplains so I have been told, by the way, 600 grit is good for the final sanding of the wood but if you can go to 1200 it would be a bit better, after I put the CA finsh on I only use micro mesh unless I need to take out a small error in the finish then I will use the 1200 wet or dry paper and go back to the micro mesh, I hope this helps, aloha.

Chris "Kalai"

What Chris said.

1. Use the MM with water/wet
2. Do not use on raw wood, use after you have CA on it.
3. Go up thru all the grits for a glass finish

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thank you so much for the responses fellas. I'm going to do some experimenting using your advice. Again, thank you very much for your help. :notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors