Melamine coated vs. Phenolic coated Plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Are these the same beast? Have you used one or the other and purchased it locally? Cost for 1/2" or 3/4" per 4' x 8' sheet? :dontknow:

1/4 sheet (2' x 4') of 1/2" thick phenolic is about $50. Ouch and yikes!

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003958/9185/Phenolic-Faced-Plywood-12-x-24-x-48.aspx

These folks offer multiple colors of phenolic 4' x 8' ply in 1/2" or 3/4". Call for pricing and shipping from NY. Ouch, yikes, and more! :eek:

http://www.robertsplywood.com/stage/rtb1481/details_specialty_plywood/details_colorfin.htm

Seems like a piece of Baltic birch and some Formica from a BORG would work about as well for most applications. :dontknow:

I have been or had been looking for Phenolic Plywood it seems to be used in concrete forming to make reusable forms... A concrete company in charlotte that I forget the name used to sell it but they do not sell it anymore... Their seems to be about 3 or 4 manufactures of it and the color of it depend on the manufacture at least that is what it seemed from the research I did

HDO used in the sign industry seems like maybe a similar usable product but I have not tried to source that yet

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Melamine does not compare to phenolic. Phenolic is a much tougher surface. Melamine will scratch if you walk past it too fast.

Now laminate on baltic birch (or any plywood, mdf, etc.) does compare well to phenolic. But there are many different grades of laminate, Some are much tougher than others. The top on my current router table is a re-purposed counter top from my old house in New Hampshire. It is laminate over MDF. The router table is about 14 years old. The counter top was installed in ~1985 and ripped out around 1997 when I claimed it for shop use.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Cobble trench in Raleigh has phenolic ply that I used to make an extension table and an out feed table...so far so good..$135 was the price..

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Given the hassle of finding a source for phenolic at even $50 a sheet I've concluded the same as you....use birch ply and do your own laminate. Get something a little thicker than Formica if you can though. Best price for birch ply I've found in the Raleigh area is Jackson International in Fuquay-Varina. Give Robin Jackson a call. I don't know of a well priced Formica alternative in the area so if anyone has one please post it here. Good luck.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Are you trying to make a router table top? Laminate is much tougher than melamine and tougher and much less expensive than phenolic ply. Laminate, more accurately "high pressure laminate" is made from multiple layers of phenolic impregnated substrate, usually a paper product, thermoset under high pressure. Phenolic ply is typically Baltic birch just covered with one or two layer of phenolic impregnated paper or linen. It is tougher than regular ply but not nearly as tough as laminate. Melamine is ply or more commonly particle board coated with a very thin layer of thermoplastic.

The cheapest way to make a tough, durable router table top is with MDF- two layers of 3/4" or one of 3/4" and one of 1/2". Cover both surfaces with laminate and edge band it with laminate or hardwood to prevent it from absorbing moisture from unsealed areas. As long as you support the top adequately it won't sag.

I get FREE laminate scraps and cut-offs from a local countertop fabricator. Most pieces have already been coated with adhesive but that comes off easily with a little acetone.

pviser

New User
paul
I have an 8' X 9' table snugly surrounding my cabinet saw on three sides. It is made of 3/4" pure phenolic (i.e. no wood) on a 3/4" base of maple plywood. This was a major project due to its size and weight. Although this table has made the use of my cabinet saw a joy, I agree with the comments above that Formica or some other plastic laminate would likely be just as good and much less expensive.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks folks that's all good advice and insight for future reference.

No, I'm not building anything. I read an article at FWW about using phenolic for smooth sliding jigs, fixtures, and fences. Also good for an assembly table where it's dead flat and glue won't stick to it. The price is prohibitive IMHO for a home shop and a few one-off applications.

The "formica" option over B-birch is a lot more reasonably priced. I've considered asking LOML about optionally removing one of our counter tops for the shop: I envision a crash and burn just with the question and return look. :gar-Bi

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I've considered asking LOML about optionally removing one of our counter tops for the shop: I envision a crash and burn just with the question and return look. :gar-Bi

You're selling that all wrong. You need to ask LOYL if she would like a new granite countertop for the kitchen? She won't care what happens to the old one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS