MDF vs. Ply for jigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Most of the mags use 3/4 plywood for jigs. I use MDF ('cause it's cheaper!). Am I missing something? What, if any, are the benefits of using ply over MDF?

pete

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Pete,

Both MDF and ply are strong and stable, which are important traits for jigs. MDF certainly mills up very nicely... maybe a bit better than plywood.

With MDF, I think you have to be a bit more careful with the fastener you choose. I think nails hold better in ply. The wrong screw or too much torque on a screw can tear up MDF more easily than it would plywood.

I think if you pay attention to how you fasten the pieces, either material makes for good jigs.

Ray

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Here is a hint for you. When you take your trash to the local trash dump look for scraps of plywood. You would be amazed at what someone will throw away. Just store it in a dry place and wait for the proper size jig to come along. Don't laugh, there is a lot of good plywood there.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
::..With MDF, I think you have to be a bit more careful with the fastener you choose. .::

I just read an article on fastening MDF. Basically it said to use sheet metal screws rather than wood screws (straight not tapered). Drill the hole in the top piece for a loose fit and countersink both sides of the hole. Seems like a lot of trouble but it would be worth it for a good jig.

Yup, it does make a mess. I generally cut it in the driveway and use my leaf blower to "spread it around".

I haven't been to a dump in ages! Brings back memories. When I was in the service we used to have a few brews and go down to the local dump and shoot rats. Ah, the good ol' days:lol:

pete

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I find that MDF is flatter and truer than most Plywood. As said before it's fastener holding capability is less. I'll often glue a hardwood strip to the MDF if I have to use any fasteners on or near the edge of it.
Dave:)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Becuase of the thundering chorus for my expert opinion, I'll add my 2 cents.:lol:

The biggest issue I have for MDF jigs is becuase of the way reacts to liquid spills. In my case, coffee. I have spilled coffee everywhere in my shop. And the one time I did use MDF, the coffee pretty much destroyed it.:-(

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Steve, that's why there should be no drinking in the workshop:slap:
If you give the MDF a good coat of poly or shellac you can avoid that problem also.
Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Steve, that's why there should be no drinking in the workshop:slap:
If you give the MDF a good coat of poly or shellac you can avoid that problem also.
Dave:smile:

Not sure about that, DaveO. Steve likes his coffee pretty strong!!!!!:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wayne

M

McRabbet

I've used both materials. But when I need a rock solid, gotta-be-flat surface, then I use 3/4" MDF or Baltic Birch. MDF takes a beautiful dado and if you use barbless t-nuts for any threaded knobs, it works great. Check out a few jig examples in my Photo Gallery.

Rob

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
OK - So it seems the down side to using MDF is:
1. It makes a mess
2. You have to take care joining it.
2. You can't spill coffee on it.

The up side is:
1. It's flat
2. It's less than half the price of 3/4 ply.

So.........Poor as I am I think I'll stick with the MDF.

pete

jglord

New User
John
One other problem I've run into with MDF is it will absorb moisture over time and swell. I had some 3/4" mdf stored for some time and when I went to use it I found it was now 13/16" or better. Sealing with a shellac based based sealer will help greatly but any rabbits or other cuts may swell over time - probably not doing any good for the accuracy of your jig.
I usually figure on plywood for long term jigs and mdf for single use.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Tekkadan said:
Steve - You must be tough on computer keyboards also:eusa_clap

Yes on table tops, keyboards, shirts, rugs and on my marriage from the messes I cause.:eusa_danc

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey Steve - Maybe you should try one of these . . . :eusa_danc

No-Spill Travel Mug

You won't always have to put this travel mug directly into your cup holder to prevent spills just set it down on the passenger seat if necessary! To open the spout, simply press the lever with your thumb; release to seal it closed; works right- or left-handed. Includes a separate non-slip docking base to help stabilize the mug on your desk. Double-wall insulation keeps coffee hot up to three hours, and keeps a cold drink cold up to six hours. Easy-grip, stay-cool handle. Holds 14 ozs. Please specify color: brushed stainless steel or dark blue.

Attachments

• travel-mug.jpg
    travel-mug.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 197

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Tekkadan said:
Hey Steve - Maybe you should try one of these . . . :eusa_danc

No-Spill Travel Mug

You won't always have to put this travel mug directly into your cup holder to prevent spills just set it down on the passenger seat if necessary! To open the spout, simply press the lever with your thumb; release to seal it closed; works right- or left-handed. Includes a separate non-slip docking base to help stabilize the mug on your desk. Double-wall insulation keeps coffee hot up to three hours, and keeps a cold drink cold up to six hours. Easy-grip, stay-cool handle. Holds 14 ozs. Please specify color: brushed stainless steel or dark blue.
My wife wants me to use one of those sippy cups that toddlers use. But I like what you just showed. Where can I get one

sapwood

New User
Roger
What a marvelous suggestion Peter :icon_thum

For those that don't know, Steve has to carry two shirts wherever he goes . . . and there's usually a coffee stain on both :lol:

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS