Marking Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Here is a marking knife I finished making last night. The handle is from a walnut log my FIL gave me, the blade was an old recip saw blade, and the ferrule is a brass compression fitting.

Let me know what you think! I do have one question for anyone that has made something like this. How do you fit the tang to the handle? I used a drill bit that was about the same diameter as the thickness of the blade and drilled several holes, then working the bit back and forth joined the holes. This left me with a loose fit and I used quite a bit of CA glue to attach the blade.

markingknife.jpg

MikeH

New User
Mike
The knife looks good Ed. :icon_thum I see an addiction coming on!!! You can't get away from the lathe now can you?

nelsone

New User
Ed
Mike, you know new tools always get the most attention. I really do need to spend time with the others before they get jealous!:lol:

The lathe really is fun to play with and the result is a quick project. I had another marking knife that I did a while back, but was never fond of the shape or the blade I had used.

Thanks for the compliment!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You are beyond me. I am just beginning to use hand tools more and more. NO where near making my own hand tools yet.

I like it, but I am not sure about the end being pointed. How does it fit your hand?

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Don't know 'cuz I cannot see it, but if your blade had a tang then all you need to do is drill a hole about the same dia as the tang and drive it in. From the descript you give it appears that your blade is the same width all the way into the handle. If that be the case, then next time all you need to is grind a tang on the blade sort of like on a file. Taper it so that as the handle is driven onto the tang it eventually binds and holds.

Well, that's what I wudda done ...

nelsone

New User
Ed
Travis, the end is pointed and only beveled on one side to mark both sides of a dovetail.I am thinking I may have to put a sharper angle on the point. You can hold it like a pencil and is actually quite confortable.

DIYGUY, the blade goes all the way to the hilt, but the tang narrowed down for insertion. The tang was about twice as wide as thick for the added strength.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Ed,

Not that this would have worked in this particular design, but I just thought of something for future reference. How about using one of the Miller dowel stepped drill bits. It is larger at the base and gets smaller at the tip. Just a thought. Might have to try this myself.

MIke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS