Maloof-style Rocker Finally Finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
FINALLY! The day has arrived when this rocking chair is moving out of my shop and into my office (it’s temporary home). This has been a weekend project for sometime now and has sat in my shop while other projects took hole. But finally I got around to finishing it and the results are AWESOME!

This would have been only a dream project if it hadn’t been John Richards (WoodGuy) who offered up his school as a place to learn how to put one of these together. At his shop (which used to be in) Hickory, NC (http://www.jsrwoodworking.com/) took on three students (all NCWW members!) and took us thru this process late last year. We did all the joinery and learned about chair design. This one is HUGE because it was fit to my body … and we nicknamed it “The Throne”.

It’s made of Walnut with maple lamination in the rockers. It’s finished with the Maloof-branded finishes from Rockler (which is a Poly/Oil followed by Oil/Wax blend).

This is the nicest furniture I've ever built. It was a challenge, taught me a lot of new techniques, gave me an appreciation for quality hand tools, introduced me to the rasp, and put a few new tools in my toolbox. :gar-Bi It's not "perfect" but then again what is. Woodworking for me is about the journey.

Obviously I want to thank John (Woodguy1975) for offering up the class, keeping it affordable, and letting us use ALL of his AWESOME tools! I also want to thank Mike (Shamrock) and Jeff (cyclopentadiene) for their help in making the chair and sharing the class with me. It was a great time and one I'll always remember. And though they got their chairs done quicker ... mine is BIGGER! :gar-La;

Thanks for looking!

P1000548.JPG

P1000546.JPG

P1000544.JPG

P1000538.JPG

P1000541.JPG

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Heirloom quality for sure! Great job Jeremy. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Would like to give one a try sometime.

I'm sure the teacher is proud of his students.

Mike

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Jeremy, Great job. I know you are really happy to get it done. I know that I surely was and was amazed that I actually got it done. What finish did you use on it?

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Jeremy, Great job. I know you are really happy to get it done. I know that I surely was and was amazed that I actually got it done. What finish did you use on it?

I went with the Maloof-branded finishes from Rockler (which is a Poly/Oil followed by Oil/Wax blend). I figured ... how could I do any better than Maloof himself! :rotflm: They were really nice to work with.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:banana::banana::banana::banana:nicely done-congratulations-looks good in it's new home.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very, very nicely done, Jeremy!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:banana::notworthy:

Calendar material for sure!!!

That finish is spectacular.

Wayne

JohnW

New User
John
DUDE!!!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: :notworthy:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Lookin' Good Mon! :eek:ccasion1

The Maloof finish looks excellent :icon_thum

pete

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
:banana::banana::banana:Outstanding workmanship.:eusa_clap:notworthy::eusa_clap:notworthy::eusa_clap:notworthy::eusa_clap

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Very clean flowing lines, simple yet elegant. Very nice finish.

Well Done and very inspiring.

Thanks for sharing your pics with us!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
As I said over on facebook, that's a beautiful job, Jeremy.:eusa_clap

Looks like an heirloom to me.

And "custom fitted", what's not to like about that!?
:wsmile:

woodguy1975

New User
John
Now I owe a lot of people instructions.... :D

Congrats dude. I promise to get a final copy out to you guys soon. I have a version that is a bit old. I wrote up a new set, but my notebook took a dive and that one was lost so I'm going to have to rewrite them. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:.

Please don't hesitate to email or call if you have a question and want to start working on another one without the instructions.

See ya,

John

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Looks great Jeremy!!!

Question for you on the seat (that is where I am on mine....

The center section that goes up, right there between your legs when you are sitting. What tools or methods did you use to bring that area down while leaving the high portion up?

Did you use the grinder close for that or sand or rasp or what????

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Looks great Jeremy!!!

Question for you on the seat (that is where I am on mine....

The center section that goes up, right there between your legs when you are sitting. What tools or methods did you use to bring that area down while leaving the high portion up?

Did you use the grinder close for that or sand or rasp or what????

The "crusher" :gar-La; was brought to shape using a combination of an angle grinder with a sanding flap disk, rasps, a circular carbide bit in an air tool, and lots of hand sanding. It was a dusty job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS