Made a New Tool - Shear Scraper,End Grain Hollowing or some such thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
New tool I made today. its a Shear Scraper,End Grain Hollowing or some such thing. :roll: It has a 1/2" by 12" tool steel shaft, the tip is a Sorby Internal Round Scraper/Cutter and a Walnut Tool Handle

tool.jpg

toolhandle.jpg

toolshaft.jpg

tooltip.jpg

James

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Good looking tool.

Have you tried it yet?

How did you do the flat area where the cutter is?

What did the cutter cost and where did you get it?

jimwill48

James
Just played with it a bit in the scraper mode, did pretty good used what I think is one of the hardest woods to cut clean "dry pine aka a piece of 2x4" it came out as smooth as a baby creek with no fuzzys.

I hava a small milling machine so the cutter recess was milled with a 1/2" end mill, but it could be made with a hacksaw and file just as easy, just more arm power. The screw holding the cutter is a common 10x24nc socket head.

Not sure where I got the cutter, either Woodcraft, Klingspor or Craft Supply. Its a Sorby Internal Cutter.

James

Good looking tool.

Have you tried it yet?

How did you do the flat area where the cutter is?

What did the cutter cost and where did you get it?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
James, that looks very similar to some of the Hunter Woodturning tools. I bought one for about $100 after taxes.
It looks like you came out much ahead and with a nicer looking handle :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
They do rock on the end grain, they tend to self-feed on spindle grain and are a little aggressive in bowl grain, but work well to hog out the waste.

Dave:)

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Dave/James this tool is actually a 45* Shear Scraper for very fine cuts. The Hunter tool is actually for cutting the endgrain. That is a great looking tool, and you can easily make the Hunter tool and the CI1/2 using the same methods. I have a link somewhere for inexpensive carbide cutters if you are interested James.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
looks like you did a great job on that
Wish I had any metal working skills... I scrape by on wood :eusa_doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS