Looking for a motor for Craftsman TS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I need to find a motor for a Craftsman Table saw mine gave up the ghost this afternoon. It still gets power it just hums and will not turn the drive shaft. Not sure if its the brushes or just needs a rebuild but wanted to check here and see if anyone may have one that is compatible that they would mind parting with cheaply or trading some pens, etc. Thanks for any help....

Here is a pic of the motor spec card:
IMG_3209_1024x639.JPG

View image in gallery

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Mike I had wondered about that. I will have to see if I can find a start capacitor for it. I don't know a ton about these motors I'm guessing its pretty simple to swap.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Agreed about the capacitor. It's straightforward. Take pics, label wires, make notes, etc. You should be able to find a replacement online. As long as the armature itself turns with no problem, then this is the likely fix.

The hardest thing about replacing motors is not finding the right HP and RPM, but finding one with the right mounting brackets to fit your machinery. I would do what I can to fix the one you have unless you have another ready to go. In the case you cannot locate a suitable replacement, then I would take it to a shop specializing in electric motor rebuilds.

David

vdubnut62

New User
Ron
If you have to end up replacing the motor(and I hope not!)you will have to reference the frame number. This tells the bolt pattern, offset, etc. to match up a replacement.
Ron.

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
Mine did the same thing last year. Turned out to be the centrifugal switch mechanism that gets out of adjustment over time and just needs to be reset to its original location. On my motor it is the clear plastic disc on the output shaft that about 1.5" diameter and 1/4" thick IIRC.

Sully

New User
jay
Put power to it and try to start the shaft turning by hand (remove belts first!). If it spins up, it's probably the capacitor.

RayH

New User
Ray
Mine did the same thing last year. Turned out to be the centrifugal switch mechanism that gets out of adjustment over time and just needs to be reset to its original location. On my motor it is the clear plastic disc on the output shaft that about 1.5" diameter and 1/4" thick IIRC.

+1 Worth checking. I had the problem with a cloths dryer motor, and cleaning the centrifugal switch fixed it.:dontknow:

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I replaced mine with one from Northern Tool, was a direct fit, and had a little more HP rating to boot.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Put power to it and try to start the shaft turning by hand (remove belts first!). If it spins up, it's probably the capacitor.

I did try that and it's trying to spin the shaft I can feel it putting pressure on it but just doesn't have enough to turn it over. When you first hit it with power you seen the shaft twitch forward and then it just stops. I am going to order a Start capacitor for it since they are pretty inexpensive and see if that is the fix. If not I know for sure of a place in GSO that I can get it worked on before I spend a ton of money on a new motor. At least I can get an idea of what it would cost to repair it.

Thanks for all the quick responses....

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Kevin,
If you rule out a switch problem I would take it to the folks at Central Rewinding in Concord. They have been very helpful to a couple of generations of local residents here and will give you a straight diagnosis and lay out your options. They're on Concord Parkway (Hwy 29) between Poplar Tent Rd. and Davidson Hwy (73) across from Northern Tool. I would also swing by Northern Tool before you go there and match the motor with one of their Leesons so you have a comparison price should Central Rewinding give your Craftsman a death sentence.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Kevin,
If you rule out a switch problem I would take it to the folks at Central Rewinding in Concord. They have been very helpful to a couple of generations of local residents here and will give you a straight diagnosis and lay out your options. They're on Concord Parkway (Hwy 29) between Poplar Tent Rd. and Davidson Hwy (73) across from Northern Tool. I would also swing by Northern Tool before you go there and match the motor with one of their Leesons so you have a comparison price should Central Rewinding give your Craftsman a death sentence.

Mark thanks for the info. That is not far from the house. I am off 73. I didn't realize there was a norther tool that close.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
With Sears (Emerson) using an open frame motor, it's a 50/50 crap shoot as to either capacitor, or start switch with saw dust in between the contacts. When I first taught school, we had a Sears RAS, that was so bad about getting saw dust in the switch, that I had a couple of kids that could "field strip" that thing in less than ten minutes. These kids were fourteen years old, and slightly challenged. A NEMA 56 frame motor fits your saw. If you buy a replacement, be sure and get a TEFC.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thanks for the info Mike and Bruce.. If I end up heading that way I will let you know Mike. I will keep that in mind if I need to look for a new motor. I called Purser Central Rewinding and they have a Start Cap. for $8.50 so I am going to get one at lunch and see if I can get it working. I noticed tonight when it hit it with power again that the pulley turned further than it had before. Hopefully the start cap is bad and it's a cheap fix if not then I will take it to PCR and get a quote on it.

Thanks for all the help.

James Anderson Jr

New User
James
Kevin,

+1 These guys rebuilt a centrifigul fan motor for my grandpa's furnace about 15 years ago and it's still kicking strong. They were extremely helpful and even expedited the repair without an upcharge (was the middle of winter).

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Your motor has two windings:start and run. The start is long and small diameter. The run is shorter and larger diameter. Length creates magnetism, diameter creates ability to take heat (created by amps). Start winding and capacitor creates the kick to overcome enertia of being stopped. The switch at about 2/3 speed kicks out the winding to keep from overheating the start and the cap. The run is always in the circuit and can take the heat of running. To have the start winding in at all times would require the motor (with larger windings) to be 50 to 100% bigger in physical size. The cap is filled with a salt solution and overheating will boil it and cause it to short.

As the switch gets dirty, burnt, or full of sawdust it keeps the start in too long which then leads to cap failure. Do not replace the cap unless you address the switch. If the cap is bad, the wax plug between its terminals will be cracked and there may be a salty, sticky residue. If the cap is not bad, it can bite you if it is still charged. It will not kill you, but it is not nice (I didn't know that my arm could move that fast!). The switch is inside the non-shaft end-bell. Take a digital picture before moving any wires. A good blast of air may be all it needs. However, a bad cap will usually have burnt contacts. File two or three strokes with a needle file, NO more unless absolutely needed. Or clean up with some 320 grit sandpaper, blow-out contacts after cleaning. The centrifical weight should have the contacts closed when still. Weight should pull against the springs and open the contacts as the motor spins up to speed and must move freely. This is not rocket science. Make reference marks at both end-bells before removing end-bell. Lining up those long bolts is very difficult without marks. When reassembling the motor, tighten the bolts in
at-least four steps. Spin armature after and during each step, light taps with a hammer maybe necessary. :icon_thum

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
A member here WOODSAW has a 1 1/2 totally enclosed motor for sale in the swap listings. If it will fit your saw it will put new life in it for a mere $60 and a trip to North Greensboro.

Charley

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
A member here WOODSAW has a 1 1/2 totally enclosed motor for sale in the swap listings. If it will fit your saw it will put new life in it for a mere $60 and a trip to North Greensboro.

Charley

I think it is 220 and I don't have any 220 Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS