Looking at a used Nova Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstrbd488

New User
Chris
Howdy fellas kind of new to the site and have nevered owned a lathe at this point in my life but, i have wanted to. I have found a used Nova 3000 for $500 here locally and was wondering if that was a good deal. I have not seen the machine but I intend on trying to get a chance to see it tomorrow. My other choice would be to get a new smaller lathe soon. If I purchase the smaller lathe I could go and and get a chuck and some decent tools at the same time as the purchase but with the bigger lathe I may have to hold off a couple of weeks to get them.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That sounds like a great deal based on all I've read on Nova Lathes. It has a good swing, and if you mount it to a substantial bench it will run smooth. You can always turn small on a big lathe, but not the inverse.
Keep in mind that the lathe purchase/cost is just a small part of the whole package. I bought my second lathe for $200 and then got a chuck for the same amount.
Welcome to the slope.

Dave:)

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Have you bought it yet?? If not and its still there GET IT NOW!!! your lookin at a $2,000,00 plus lathe there.Unless somebody had pushed it off a cliff.
Ken

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I saw that buried in an ad on Charlotte CL this week ... and that is a great price. Inspection is necessary though ... because some of the sellers other items weren't such hot prices if I remember correctly.

If it's in good shape, that would be an excellent lathe. It's not the higher model "DVR", but still a great mid size lathe for the money ... I'd be buying it!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Wait, Wait, Which nova 3000 lathe is it?

DVR 3000 XP - this is the variable speed lathe that sells for around $2200, on sale at woodcraft for 1800
DVR 3000 - variable speed older model
Nova 3000 - Not longer made - NOT variable speed - predecessor to current Nova 1624-44
Nova 1624-44 is the current switch pulley nova lathe. Basically the same lathe as DVR 3000 XP, except for the direct drive variable speed. This is normally about $1200, but is currently on sale from Woodcraft at $900.

The other big thing to consider on all NOVA lathe is the bed length. it comes with a bed to do 22: centers. The bed is extendable in 20" segments, but each segment is $220.:swoon:So on the one you are looking at, does it have any extra segments included

All that said, I have the DVR 3000 XP and I have not regretted it once. My understanding is that ALL of the differrent models are just as good.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I was in Woodcraft yesterday drooling over those. :tinysmile_tongue_t: Go by and take a look at it. Plug it in, turn it on, if possible mount a piece of wood to it to make sure the head and tail stock are nice and solid. Check that the tool rest is in good shape. If it is variable speed, adjust it to all of the different speeds. If it passes that inspection, BUY IT. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Have you bought it yet?? If not and its still there GET IT NOW!!! your lookin at a $2,000,00 plus lathe there.Unless somebody had pushed it off a cliff.
Ken
??? Just a check on replacement cost: Woodcraft is selling the replacement for the Nova3K - the Nova 1624 - for $900 (on sale). This is the base model.

The EVS version of the 1624 (called the Nova DVR - it replaced the DC EVS version of the Nova3K) is only $1600 new. And the Nova DVR is better than either the EVS Nova3K or the Nova 3K EVS.

I think $500 is a good price for a basic AC-motor Nova3K. Included accessories - chucks, faceplates, tools, etc - can really bump of the value of the offer.

-Mark

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Hi,
I have a Nova 1624, which I have had for about a year. If you go to /www.teknatool.com you can pull up the specs for the 3000. The swivel head is really nice when you get ready to turn the inside of a bowl. I rotate mine out to the 22.5 degree position and it is much more comfortable. I paid a grand for mine a year ago so $500 is a jump-on-it deal if it is in good condition. ..and maybe gets some chucks or tools also?
Teknatool is great to work with and should have any replacement parts you may need.
For us flat workers, Record Tools in England sells the Technatool lathe also but it has the Record name on it (I assume if Records puts their name on it, it must be pretty good).
I assume that it is the belt drive 3000. The DVR drive (3000 DVR) is a grand more. Mine is the belt drive.
I'm not sure why they changed the names (3000 to 1624 and 3000 DVR to DVR XP).
Mike

dstrbd488

New User
Chris
Talked to the guy who owns the lathe tonight finally and he said that it has the step pullys with 8 sizes of pullys and that it also has the speed control box on it but he could not meet me till tomorrow. He said that he bought the lathe a while back and was injured and now can't do anything in the shop anymore so hes going to get rid of it all.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Sounds like a great deal for you. If it is in good shape, I would jump on it.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I bought a Nova 3000 used - and paid more than that last May or June. I have no regrets - except that I have not used it as much as I have wanted to. I am a new turner.

Mine came with the original equipment (faceplate, knockout bar) but no aftermarket or additional accessories. Mine did come with the stand that the former owner made for it - plans are in the manual I believe.

If it is in good condition - this seems like a very reasonable price.

Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS