Long Ranger remote control - Good/Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimman20

New User
Rich Zimmerman
Howdy, all...anyone have a Long Ranger remote control and have any input on it, good or bad? I need one for my DC but seem to remember some folks having trouble with remote controls for some reason(s)...maybe it was the cheaper versions (Shop Fox?) that I'm thinking of? I'm looking at the PSI version...any input would be appreciated.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Had the 220V long ranger. Worked well. Good range, no signal conflicts. Remote had a belt clip. It was a little on the large size, but still was ok.

gator

George
Corporate Member
My 220V unit hooked to a Griz1029Z DC has worked (and still is working) fine for 4-5 years.

George

M

McRabbet

I have the Shop Fox 110V version that I bought from Grizzly and it works fine -- my 1 HP Penn State Dust Collector is under my shop floor in the (dry) crawl space and I can start it from any location in my shop without problems. They also have a 220 V model.

Rob

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
In case you want to control the DC only (i.e not blast gate controls), I got a cheaper and possible better version. Get an appliance rated X-10 switch (either for 110 or 22oV-whatever you have) plug or wire DC into that, get an x-10 receiver (will plug in on any 110V receptacle) and then buy a couple of x-10 pocket remote (look like key chain remotes).
That's what I have for my dust collector and rotary phase converter.

A box of key chain remotes (6 of them) on ebay runs about $10-15, appliance switch (from x-10, smarthome.com or ebay) runs about $15-25, x-10 receiver runs about $15-20.
All of the items can be had on ebay (least money), x-10 web site, smarthome.com, or Radioshack and the like (most money).

If you need exact model numbers/descriptions let me know.
Nice thing about this system,: cheap , no wiring, easily available and very rugged.

Bernhard

dtomasch

New User
David
i have the shop fox and my DC (and remote reciever) is on the other side of a concrete block wall. I can turn it on and off with no prob from anywhere in my shop. It was cheap too (@22.00) 220v.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I have had the 220 version for over 3 years. No problems. Great range. I have been out in the yard several feet from the shop and accidently hit the on switch and the DC came on. Only negative I have is....I wish the on/off buttons were a little larger and raised up more on the switch. This not a real big deal, just would be a little easier to hit the buttons when it is hanging from a shop apron.

zimman20

New User
Rich Zimmerman
Thanks for the inputs, guys. Just what I wanted to hear...the 220v version is on the way from Grizz. :icon_thum

Bernhard - thanks for the suggestion...tempting, but I wanted a plug-and-play solution.

My DC is also a Grizz 1029z. I'd remoted the on/off switch by moving it from the base of the DC and extending the wires on both ends so that I could put the switch in a more user-friendly location, saving the cost of the Long Ranger at that time. I've since moved and my new shop required reworking that setup to lengthen one of the cords...took it apart yesterday to do so and wound up dropping the switch, fatally breaking it. :roll: While looking into buying the replacement from Grizz, which was going to cost me upwards of $35.00 after shipping, I decided to treat myself to the LR and be done with trying to figure out how/where best to locate the switch this time. Yes, it cost me double ($70.00 after shipping) but now I've got what I wanted all along and don't have to worry about cords and the OEM switch anymore. :cool:

Gonna be nice to have that remote, I think. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS