Lessons Learned on 1st Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Here are is a pic of my first pen. General disclaimer: This is literally the first thing I've turned on a lathe I just inherited. Keep in mind that I do not know anything about turning or sharpening chisels so I'm at a distinct advantage. I'm having fun but certainly have a lot to learn.

1stPen.JPG

Here's a quick list of what I learned:
  • Turning isn't nearly as easy as other's make it look.
  • The Penn State Video was very informative & helpful.
  • Ed & Mike's lathe lesson at Jeremy's was more imformative & helpful.
  • Trying to cut a pen blank to length by hand on a miter saw is stupid and dangerous. (I keep learning that lesson guess I'm a slow learner).
  • Cutting tenons on the pen for a band is really hard!
  • If you cut the tenon too small you can use white plumbers tape to build up a washer and sorta hide your mistake.
  • Taking time to download assembly plans for the kit you bought from woodcraft would be a good idea.
  • If you push a part in too far you can use an allen wrench and clamp to push it back out.
  • Don't pull on the twisty part with pliers cause it will come out and the housing will stay and you'll have wasted that part of the kit.
  • My wife is very supportive she says the pen looks great even before I got the band fixed or the thing set so it would actually work.
  • I do really enjoy a project that can be don in an afternoon!
Well that's my .02. wish I had more time to play today, but the wife is due with kid number 2 any time and she's thinking today may be the day so I better get off here and start paying her some attention.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Nice looking job on your first pen. Thanks for the lessons learned. I think I'll be needing the advice before long.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Congrats! The first one is behind you!

Try the slimlines ... no tenon, which makes it easier (and cheaper) to practice!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, everybody has to start some where. It does look better than my first. You've learned a lot of valuable lessons with this first one, and that makes it worth much more than you know. Apply those learnings and your next will be better, and the one after that even better.
Dave:)

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I'm glad to get the 1st one done. Might be awhile before I get to do more. LeAnn had the baby last night! Riley Anne, 8lbs 1oz, 20-1/2" long. Riley swallowed dome fluid and spent the night in the nicu but is now off of O2 and nursed this am. She should be released to our room by noon we hope. I'll post photos sometime.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I'm glad to get the 1st one done. Might be awhile before I get to do more. LeAnn had the baby last night! Riley Anne, 8lbs 1oz, 20-1/2" long. Riley swallowed dome fluid and spent the night in the nicu but is now off of O2 and nursed this am. She should be released to our room by noon we hope. I'll post photos sometime.

CONGRATULATIONS PHIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Congrats on your first pen. Here is the only advice I can share that has really made a difference for me.

1. If you use a CA finish...I apply it with a good quality paper towel. This works best for me...may not work for others....but I don't get any ripples using this method.

2. Cutting blanks close to length. I would use either a bandsaw...or harbor freight has a mini miter saw...with about a 2-1/2" blade. Works very very very well for pen blanks....really serves no other purpose unless you also wanted to cut your own brass tubing with it though. They are cheap and work very well.
3. Sharp tools will make a world of difference.

4. A Beaull (sp?) Buff will be your best friend and give your pens/ blows a shine to die for. I don't currently own one, but it is quickly approaching the top of my priority tool woodworking list. I have used Woodguys, and it does great. You may be able to just use some polishing compound or wax on a normal slow speed grinder...with a polishing wheel.....I am going to try this first and will let you know the results.

I'm no pro and still struggle with good quality pens but these are just a few simple tricks that I have learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS