lathe tool holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am looking for some ideas or plans for a rack/holder for my turning tools. Thinking I want something wall mounted but open to all ideas. I would love to see what you turners have created.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Lathe tool holder/rack
11/26/10 at 13:58:05
delete.png
Heres an idea

Glennbear

Glenn
Although I have not tackled lathe tool storage in my shop yet I rather like David Fenton's design. There are a couple more pics in his gallery. :wsmile:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I really like Charlie's lathe tool holder and storage. It is above the lathe and closes for a nice clean look when not in use.

There are more pictures in his gallery

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I like the one Gary posted, makes a lot of sense and should be easy to adapt to odd size tools. I think I may combine that with the cabinet idea, I have a lot of other tools I need to keep handy.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Here is one that is fast and cheap and works great for a wall hanging lathe tool holder.

Take a 2 x 4 (any length desired) and cut a 45 on each end. Then drill holes just a little larger than the shank end of the handle spaced so that none of the tools touch each other. Drill a shallow hole with a forstener bit in the end of the 2 x 4 where you cut the 45, then drill a hole through the center of the shallow hole with a bit the size of the screw you are going to use to mount the board to the wall. Then screw the board to the wall. And place your lathe tools in the holes, cutting end down and you have a quick cheap tool holder. You can see the cutting end of the lathe tool and can grab it by the handle and not take a chance on cutting your hand on the cutting tip of the tool.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/286/medium/DSC07681.JPG

I found a photo.

Look on the wall behind the lathe.

Since this photo was taken I have expanded the tool holder and replaced the lathe.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Kinda like this only nicer?

IMG_2904.JPG

Just a 2x4 screwed between the wall studs with holes drilled to accept the turning tools.

cptully

New User
Chris
I don't have pictures handy unfortunately, but my Dad built a short rolling bench to hold his midi lathe and wrapped the band ~ 1/4 of the sides with vertical PVC tubes sized to hold the cutting end of the gouges but small enough to catch the handles. The tubes are long enough that the cutting end do not project below the end of the tube.

Chris

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Here's the wall-mount I use. The open format allows me to see the tip if the tool to determine which one it is plus makes cleanup easy with an air nozzle.

The crucial point for me is the colored electrical tape around the ferrule. I did this in the mid 1990s and have stayed with it ever since. White for skews, yellow for spindle gouges, red for bowl gouges, etc. By doing this, I can scan the rack, say for a 3/8 spindle gouge, and stop at yellow ferrules on small handles, glance down and determine whether or not this gouge is a 3/8, 1/4/ 5/16 or whatever. Its quick, easy, and gets pretty necessary when your lathe tool collection evolves to more than a dozen or so chisels.

turnsshop5.jpg

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
After procrastinating for a long time I made major progress on my tool holder t fits under the lathe. I have to get a few things, large diameter pipe insulation and some smaller diameter tubing and it will be done! Pictures to follow when I have it complete! I think I am going to like it.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS