Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
101_5737.JPG

101_5739.JPG

101_5741.JPG

101_5744.JPG

101_5745.JPG

19"H x 12"D - Maple, saplel, Purpleheart - 3361 Pcs.
38 Rings
Top two rings and bottom two rings each have 24 segments.
The remaining 34 rings have 96 segments cut at 1.875 degrees.
Largest segments cut at .412" and smallest at .236"
Fun project, but my eyes crossed a few times.
I copied the lower section of the design from a bowl I saw on the net and added the upper part of the design.
Thanks for looking.
All comments welcome.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Charlie, you continue to amaze!

What kind of jigs do you use to cut all those tiny pieces and still keep your digits?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Charlie - that is SIMPLE AWESOME!
BUT, I cannot believe you showed my Christmas Present to everyone before you got it to me!!!:rotflm:

Your work is simply amazing!

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the comments.

John, I use a sled on the table saw. Any segments under 5/8" I collect in a box connected to a shop vac. This pulls the segment away from the blade and into the box.
101_57472.JPG

101_57482.JPG

Sorry Hank, This will be my daughter's birthday gift.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the comments.

John, I use a sled on the table saw. Any segments under 5/8" I collect in a box connected to a shop vac. This pulls the segment away from the blade and into the box.
101_57472.JPG

101_57482.JPG

Sorry Hank, This will be my daughter's birthday gift.

first of all - that is a SERIOUSLY cool system you have created to make your work safer.
I guess I will concede your daughter's birthday is more important than my Christmas gift... I can wait! :D

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you Charlie if I don't speak to you or see you before that!

llucas

luke
Senior User
Charlie, AGAIN AMAZING!!!! I never get tired of seeing your creations! I can only imagine the man-hours in this work.
I was so impressed that while at work today (on my break) I made people look at it so they could be amazed with me....and they were! They couldn't believe it!
You are my hero (when it comes to segmented turning). Please keep sharing.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Thanks Llucas. That took about 60 hours. Time doesn't mean much when you are retired and have nothing better to do than take perfectly good, large pieces of wood, cut them into a bunch of tiny pieces and then glue them all back together into one piece.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
101_57472.JPG

Charlie, do you have individual sleds for all the different angles you make or an adjustable design?

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
They were visible in post #6 and now they are not???
Trying to add Charlies (ingenious sled) here;

101_5747.JPG

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Thanks. Sort a refined AcuMiter sled. I see the vac setup for sucking up the small pieces. What's the box-looking thing with the grill? A blower? And the wooden hook? Is the hook just for stopping rearward motion on the sled? I like the vertical rail on the leading edge. Keeps errant pieces from escaping :)

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The box looking thing is extra dust collection. If you know Charlie, he can never have too much dust collection.

Beautiful piece Charlie. You did something different with the bottom. Can you describe it a little? Or maybe just show me at the next RTP lunch.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I also really like the view looking into the piece.

Charlie
What is your procedure for setting a given angle? (lets exclude 90* and 45*) Do you measure the error somehow and calculate the correction similar to what can be done with the 5 cut method for checking a 90* angle or something else?

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Again, Thanks for all the comments.

Jim, I have one sled and just keep adding angles as needed. The most I had ever done was 72 segments until this turning with 96.
The box with the grill is another shop vac connection.
Yes, the hook is to stop the sled in the reward position at the same point every time.

Hank, I don't know why the photos disappeared.

Pete, unfortunately the inside design sometimes looks better that the outside.

Ken, I still use the same floating bottom. I think you are seeing an optical illusion. The center disc is maple, the first bottom ring is purpleheart and the next ring is maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS