Charlie
Corporate Member
101_4868.JPG

View image in gallery
101_4870.JPG

View image in gallery
101_4872.JPG

View image in gallery
14"D x 6"H - Maple, Sapele, Cherry - 217 Pcs.
Thanks for looking. All comments welcomed.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Well you did it again Charlie! Very nice as usual. Would you be up for a mini shop crawl/visit? Probably 4 of us.

bobby g

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Nice, Charlie. That must be what you were gluing up when I stopped by a couple weeks ago.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome work there, Charlie!

This work is just soooooo beautiful. What can one say?

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the kind words.

Bobby G., A mini shop crawl/visit sounds great. Let me know when. I'm available most anytime.

Phil S., Lets set up a time for a workshop. Whatever works for you.

Preston, Yeah, that's the one.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That is remarkable Charlie~! Love it.

I love how the round turning has the square image on the top. Thanks for sharing.

And one day when I have a heated shop and I'm not in school anymore.....Spring 2014....Then I will hopefully be able to make some more segmented items.... And maybe come somewhat close to your master pieces.

Thanks, I so love your work.

Matthew

taylor21

New User
jimmy
Great work of turning. It is also looks amazing because of designing and polish on it. The last one is little less polish.

kclark

New User
Kevin
Okay
I love that piece and all segmented turnings. My problem is I want to do segmented but don't know where to start. So where do I start?

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Charlie. How did you get the rectangular light and dark pieces in the solid dark segments on the top?

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Thanks again for all the compliments.

Kevin, If you would like to spend a day in my shop I will give you a crash course. If not, go to Malcolm Tibbetts' (One of the greatest segmented turners) website www.tahoeturner.com and he has many DVD's and books available. I purchased his book "The Art of Segmented Wood Turning". There are many other DVD's, books, etc., by others, but I think Malcolm is "King".

Scott, I do my design using Auto Cad. I draw the design and then print it in scale. Then I glue the template/s onto the wood. I allow for saw kerf removal/waste so when completed the pieces are reassembled with the grain matching up as original. Not always easy to accomplish and some woods/grain are better than others. As for the above turning, using the dark triangular piece located at 6:00 o'clock as an example, the segment was cut horizontally where the bottom of the "U" is. Then the "U" section waste was removed to match the size of the new "U" to be installed. This leaves two pieces, a left and a right. Then these two pieces are glued to the new "U" assembly. Then the "upper U" section of the segment is glued to the lower section of the segment and it is impossible to see the joint. I spend a lot of time on the 20" disc sander when doing these details.
Let me know sometime when you are coming to Raleigh and you can visit my shop and we can chat about segmenting.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
What did you use to cut the slot? And is the wast piece in the middle of the U? Btw, I thought you knew some easy way to do it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS