Kobra Hollowing system Test Run!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Kobra test run!
I've been hollowing free hand for a number of years now and decided it was time to look for a good hollowing system. I decided after much research into the subject that the Kobra was the best one on the market for my needs. There is a wait after you order one since they are custom made for each customer. I got my Kobra system Tuesday of this week. The quality of this tool is top shelf, but I still wasn't sure on how I would like it since I have been hollowing free hand so long. I had used a home made Jamison a friend had and just never got to where I liked to hollow with it. I like tucking the handle under my arm and controlling the cut with my body and just didn't see any other captive system on the market that would allow me to do this except the Kobra. First off I would like to say it has been great dealing with Al and Jerry on this unit. I got a chance today to try it out on a piece of maple. I was able to hollow it out by tucking the handle under my arm as I do free hand. I hollowed this vase out 10 1/2" deep with zero flex or chatter. It is extremely smooth and easy to use. It is like free hand turning without any stress of holding the tool except to guide it. The lazer attachment is great and very easy to adjust and lock into place. The goal post tool support is made with a 1'" hardened drill rod as is the boring bar so they do not flex and also should remain as slick as they are for many years to come. I have no doubt that this system will hollow as deep as I ever want it to go.
Jack
DSC00244.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

Rob

New User
Rob
Thanks for the review. I've been researching hollowing systems, have about decided on the Monster. Any reason you chose this one above the Monster?

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Rob, Most everyone that posted about the monster loves it, but say that it starts to chatter when hollowing deeper than 9 or 10 inches. I've been free hand hollowing down to this depth for years with little effort so I wanted a system that I can go deeper with. The Kobra is flex and chatter free down to 15" in depth according to everyone that has made a review on it and one turner Hollows up to 25" with it. It is a major investment but one does get what they pay for. The other major thing I love about the Kobra is the handle that screws into the back side that lets me use it just as I would a tool when freehand turning. I plan on making a wooden handle just like my other tools that I can screw into the back side.
Jack

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hey Jack Looks like a good system. Good write up on it.
I've been looking for future reference and like some of the jointed ones but it seems every new one brings up more questions. Could you put up a pic of the cutter head when you get a chance?
Packard has one that I really like, but I swear I can't keep the names straight.
Thanks for posting this-

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Excellent review! Thanks for sharing. I have the Jamieson and although it works quite well, I do get chatter now and again. BTW, can the Kobra support the Hunter tips?

Thanks again!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I will take some pic's of the cutter tips when I get a chance. I have a 3/4" adapter for this system so I can use my Jordan hollowing bars with it or any otheir 3/4" bar on the market. As far as the tool holders for the 1" bar it came with 3 that hold a 3/16" cutters. I would think that Al and Jerry could make a head to hold many different cutters if needed. After looking at the system they make I don't think there is any thing that they can't make if needed. They are true perfectionist when it comes to their work.
Jack

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Jack,

So where is their website or contact info and how much for the entire set just like yours? Interested and will probably have to save for a while, so I just want to know what to save up for.

Thanks a bunch for the review.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thank everyone. I am very pleased with this system and look forward to many more forms in the future. Here is the contact info for Al and Jerry. jatooling@yahoo.com I will let you talk to them about price, but I will say that while expensive it is worth it in my mind. This system is made to last two life times. Steve, I have made some 3/4" bars to hold 1" round scrapers to free hand the finial cut on vases. I have been hollowing with a 3/16" cutter in one of my home made bars until I bought the Kobra.
Thanks Again,
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS