Kitchen Countertop Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Gees, planing this stuff by hand is tough! At least I am getting lots of practice sharpening the irons. I decided to go with edge grain instead of face grain for the section around the sink. That should help with the movement problem we were discussing in another thread. It isn't as pretty, it is lots more work, and it is a pain in the rear. But, I think it will last longer and work better. It should handle scratches better too. Here are some pics of the work so far.

451982820_t37K3-X3.jpg

451981097_jsYUF-X3.jpg

451981995_X6W7z-X3.jpg

This would be easier if I could cut the boards the same width! :BangHead:

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I did run them through the planer. No matter what I try, I always have some boards off by a little bit after the glue up. It isn't a big deal on small panels. But this one will be 13' x 25" and the wood is full of knots and crazy grain.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Then I would make them oversize and glue up sections big enough to fit through the planer and bring them down to handplane depth and then glue up again. Sorry to be redundant if you are already doing that.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Thanks, Travis. Sometimes, I don't pick up on things very fast - especially since I am trying to learn so many things at once. I am gluing and planing small sections, gluing them together, and then planing again. A 26" planer would be the ticket! I do enjoy hand planing but this hard, knotty, crazy-grained maple is a challenge. It will help me better appreciate my next oak or walnut project!

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Re: Kitchen Countertop Progress - Updated 1/17/9

I have all but one section cut and dry-fitted. I managed to get everything flat and level with the hand planes. It was a lot of work! I found that adding a 10 degree back bevel really helps going across the grain. I need to learn how to add a slight radius to the iron so it won't gouge the wood. It took a hours scraping the gouges out and getting the boards shiny and smooth. This maple is a challenge for me. Some time in the next few years, I may have the cabinets finished and the new floor installed. We did get a new sink - it is just like the old one but 18 years newer and not all scratched up. We found it for half price which was still twice what the old one cost!

Tomorrow, I have to trim the edges - I dread doing that. I can't cut a straight line for the life of me. I bought a straight edge that I can run the saw along. Maybe that will do the trick. Then, I need put the Waterlox on the bottom, join all of the pieces together, and attach the top. I have some brackets and screws that I am going to do that with. I have some more scraping to do, make the back splashes, and put the Waterlox on the top.

If you see anything I need to consider or change, now is the time - being a rookie, I need all the help I can get!

Here are some before, during, and after pics. One of these days, I will fix the date stamp on the camera.

456615587_nRof6-XL.jpg

456615771_a4EZN-XL.jpg

456615967_wwTo4-XL.jpg

456615412_vcuww-X2.jpg

456616746_kAsHr-X2.jpg

456617042_pEs2B-X2.jpg

456616452_r9gkQ-X2.jpg

T

toolferone

WOW, that is a lot of work! It is coming along great. What are plan for the front edge?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Man, that is SOME project you have undertaken! Those pictures blew me away! I hope you will be well rewarded for all those hours you've put into this one.

GREAT JOB!

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Rob

New User
Rob
If it was me, and it's only dry fitted now, I would set up a stop block on the radial arm saw, or table saw, and saw them to length. With a stop block you should be getting the exact cut every time. I wouldn't try cutting that with a circular saw and straight edge.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael

Tomorrow, I have to trim the edges - I dread doing that. I can't cut a straight line for the life of me. I bought a straight edge that I can run the saw along. Maybe that will do the trick.

Hummmm, I remember seeing a new jointer around here somewhere. So, I cut them with the circular saw and then ran them through the jointer to get them straight & smooth. They are really heavy but I got it to work - then I went for the pain meds.

457067862_SpQDo-X3.jpg

457068110_E6nZY-X3.jpg

Kicbak

New User
Wes
This is one of those instances a festool or dewalt track saw would be perfect. When the piece is hard to move, move the tool instead. Those saws with the track make a perfect straight cut.

Wes

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
This is one of those instances a festool or dewalt track saw would be perfect. When the piece is hard to move, move the tool instead. Those saws with the track make a perfect straight cut.

Wes

I thought about that earlier today. Too bad they are so expensive!

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I agree, there must be a better way. But, the jointer did a great job - when I held the panel correctly and I was rewarded with a smooth straight surface. Even with a great big sled on a table saw with a large table, I probably would have had lots of sanding to do. So, this worked out nicely.

Toolferone, I am going to use a low-angle block plane to round the edges over a bit on both surfaces. Someone who is good with a router could do a better job in a shorter time. But, I am not good with a router and there is too much at stake if I screwed it up. I will be going slow and easy with a very sharp iron.

I have the bottom surface sealed. Tomorrow, I will so another dry fit then join the panels together with the countertop bolts that DaveO suggested (thanks!), join the top to the supporting 2x4s, and apply the finish. While I am waiting for the finish to dry, I will start milling the back-splash pieces.

J

jeff...

Great progress on that top - that's some wood working right there :gar-La;

Just thought I would toss this out there. My FIL is a very smart man and always "tinkering" Last time I went for a visit he showed me some really cool things he made like a "two wheel" wheel barrow, a 500' garden hose reel that winds or unwinds with the flick of a switch, home garden pest control system (AM transistor radio turned into NPR) :). But the coolest was attaching press on sanding disks to each side of his saw blades - urr... you never seen such a smooth cut from a saw blade as with his.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Made more progress today - just not as much as I anticipated. Looks like a snow day tomorrow. So, maybe I can get more work done. Here are some pics with the top installed. You can see my new gloat on the counter.

458201713_iw9vB-X3.jpg

458201250_wSVw4-X3.jpg

458200983_CrFSq-X3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS