Kitchen Countertop Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Here is a pic with the last piece of countertop in place (the piece with the beetle tunnel).

461841757_KrKzu-X3.jpg

PChristy

New User
Phillip
great progress Michael:icon_thum I agree with Bas on getting that tunnel fixed - I am sure it will look great after you jump on it and get it fixed:icon_thum

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Nice job on counter.Would you be coming down Sea Level way because LOML was wondering how come the counter tops here are swelling like they are pregnant.:rotflm:Tony

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Man what an undertaking!!!! I really know because I have done it twice, once with cherry and once with oak. I did use edge grain for all of mine because of wood movement concerns.

Do not know why I did not see this thread earlier or I would have tried to pass on a few things learned the hard. Most standard tops have 45 degree angles cut to accommodate 90 degree turns. I see you solved this the same way I did.

Unless you have more money than sense and can buy any and every tool you want you are going to have to improvise at times and I think you have done a great job in doing this. I really think you have all of your major problems solved but if you run into anything that causes you concern please PM me and maybe I have run into the same thing and can help out.

I did run into a problem with a crack in the wood after a couple of years. This was actually a bathroom counter top. I made a jig for my plunge router and cut out the cracked area. Squared the ends with a chisel and then found a piece with matching grain. Now I can hardly find the piece.

You will get some minor bumps and bruises along the way, particularly around the stove, but my wife thinks they just add character. I saw the cherry ones I did 15 years ago and they still look great. You will be pleasantly surprise at how well they hold up.

One safety note:Tuck in your shirt when using the jointer or other moving blades or bits. Unless I missed it I am surprised someone else did not bring this up.

In case I did not mention it you are really doing a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS