Keepsake Box Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Bubinga with 1 coat Danish oil then MANY coats of Deft aerosol lacquer finish. Flocking from Woodcraft - DL, thanks for the reference. :-D

My first box so I learned a lot. The lacquer finish never really filled the grain depressions in the Bubinga. It looks okay, just not glass smooth. Would a brush on lacquer do a better job?

I'm gonna use General Finishes Seal-a-Cell on the next box, which I started today...purpleheart and bubinga/padauk.

Here's a few pics.

Chuck

Attachments

• Alicias keepsake 002.jpg
    Alicias keepsake 002.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 286
  • Alicias keepsake 003.jpg
    Alicias keepsake 003.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 275

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Very nice, Chuck! I especially like the design feature of having different sized 'keys' to support your miter joints. The flocking looks great...I've been wanting to try that...was it hard?

The only thing is that the wood doesn't look like bubinga to me. Maybe it's the picture, but the grain structure is too 'organized', for a lack of a better word. The bubinga I have seen has a very diverse grain that goes in all sorts of direction. In addition, it typically has a 'bees-wing' luster to it. I very well could be wrong as I'm fairly green in this stuff, but it looks more like a cherry to me.

...also, I like the detail of the feet. Great job!
Chris

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great job on the first box, Chuck. I can only dream about building something with joints that tight:crybaby2: !
Take care,

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Chuck,

The box is beautiful. I have a couple of boxes on the list of stuff-I-gotta-build-right-away-for-wife-and-daughters. I can only hope mine come out that nice.

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Chuck, that's SWEEEET. I really like the variable depth miter keys, and the relief in the bottom. Great choice of flocking color :icon_thum Don't worry if it isn't glass smooth, that way people will know it is made of real wood, not plastic. BTW, I think the finish looks great. Great job :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
wsd1089 said:
Very nice, Chuck! I especially like the design feature of having different sized 'keys' to support your miter joints. The flocking looks great...I've been wanting to try that...was it hard?

The only thing is that the wood doesn't look like bubinga to me. Maybe it's the picture, but the grain structure is too 'organized', for a lack of a better word. The bubinga I have seen has a very diverse grain that goes in all sorts of direction. In addition, it typically has a 'bees-wing' luster to it. I very well could be wrong as I'm fairly green in this stuff, but it looks more like a cherry to me.

...also, I like the detail of the feet. Great job!
Chris

Chris, It's bubinga. It is not a figured piece, in fact it's pretty flat looking. Flocking was easy. I got the idea from DL's earlier post with his bandsaw box... http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/woodworking/general.woodworking/3061-bandsaw.boxes.html

Bubinga has a lot of different looks. Here's a link showing some good pics and describing the wood http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/bubinga.htm

Although bubinga is very hard, this piece machined very well with sharp tooling. It's tough on jointer blades!! It's quite heavy too.

Here's a closeup shot of the corner showing the grain swirl pattern.

Chuck

Attachments

• Alicias keepsake 004 closeup.jpg
    Alicias keepsake 004 closeup.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 250

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
I agree with the above posts - nice touch on the different lenght keys and subtle cut on the base. If that is your first box, your a natural!

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Chuck, thanks for the kind response and link. Next time, please include a link with more pictures and information. That link was a little slight (hahah!) I'm sure some of those pics came from Gilmore wood..they have some gorgeous wood.

Anyway, seriously, thanks for the response..and back to your project..very nice. I really do appreciate the design features you included to make it unique!!!

Cheers,
Chris

MarkW

New User
Mark
Very nice ! I also like the detail you put in. That box looks like an experts work so I'm sure you must be pleased.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Chuck, I think that box is outstanding! I'm glad to see that you didn't waste your time building with poplar. Your work deserves the use of the exotics. Let's see more of them and be sure to give thought to posting pics in the Gallery.
Roy

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Great job on the box. Did you make a jig for the keys or use a tenon jig? If thats your first box bigger things are coming.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
stoneskippers said:
Great job on the box. Did you make a jig for the keys or use a tenon jig? If thats your first box bigger things are coming.

I made a jig (sled to run along rip fence) out of baltic birch ply...simple but works well.

FWIW I'm working on a second box in purpleheart and it sucks to work with. I'm resawing to 1/2 then dimensioning to 3/8 thick. Hard as crap, splintery, every piece I resawed "relaxed" after cutting so I re-jointed then planed. Went out this AM to glue up and several of the pieces have cupped...Grrrrrrr. :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: I definitely don't have the guts to route the edges to make "feet" in the corners...it tears out REALLY bad.

Doing the top with purpleheart frame and padauk panel. That padauk is orange...I mean orange like a hunter's vest! It machines very nicely so far. Purple and orange...think my daughter will blast me on my color selection?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I noticed my 1", 3TPI TW BS blade seems to be getting a little duller. Still making a dimensionally perfect cut though. I guess resawing exotics takes a toll. I've probably resawed 75-100 ft of 6 - 8 inch wide stock. Did I mention I love my MM-16? Well, I do!

Anyone have an idea how long a Timberwolf BS resaw blade lasts? Can they be economically resharpened?

Chuck

skeeter

New User
Charles
Great job Chuck. I like the design details, wood selection, flocking color, mitre keys, and finish. BTW did I mention . . . . WOW!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Chuck, it's a beaut! Well thought out and designed. It's a treasure waiting to be filled with other treasures :mrgreen:

Sapwood

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great looking box Chuck. I really like the way it turned out. Your joints and miter keys look excellent. How did you like using that flocking material?

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS