Just A Plane 'Ole Gloat With Some Chisels Thrown In

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I couldn't get the block plane I bought at Sears for 12 bucks to work at all. After some reading, I checked the sole and found it wasn't flat. It wouldn't cut because it was dipped in where the iron came out. So, I ordered this to replace it:

413493750_xzTRK-L.jpg

I was so blown away by the quality, even when compared to my Veritas plane that when I went to the Woodcraft store yesterday, this jumped into my basket:

413495502_AsDJx-L.jpg

My wife got me a set of chisels for my birthday and my selection of hand tools is steadily growing:

413490810_NPwig-L.jpg

I really learning to use them and I like the way they feel and the way they work. The goal for my next project is to do it with minimal sanding.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Nice tools! You will love the LN stuff! I have 3 sizes of the Sorby chisels..love them so far! Need to fill in the blanks on the other sizes. Enjoy the handtools!

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Nice stuff there .... both the Veritas and Lie Nielsen are excellent and will be lifetime tools. Wish I had a few of those you show there!

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I used what my wife calls "man logic." You see, the bedroom suite she wanted would have cost almost $6,000. The materials cost around $1,000. That leaves me $5,000 to spend on tools! Isn't that a great deal? I like it so much that I told her I would start on the kitchen next. I figure a new butcher block counter top and new cabinets would cost a small fortune. So, think about all the money we will save that I can buy tools with! :eusa_danc

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Great buy:icon_thum,I was happy when I was allowed to buy 1 Sorby and a set of 7 Warren chisels

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nice thinking. :icon_thum

I won't get much using your examples: LOML has a solid cedar bedroom suite (though there is one odd nightstand I could make :eusa_thin ).

For the Sears plane: Have a go at flattening the sole by rubbing it across a few sheets of 100 grit.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
that's the way to go.
Get the lil women involved and their approval. Always makes tool shopping and delivery special times.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
That is a fine piece of equipment there. I have that same plane and it works like silk. I have about 6 others, including Stanleys, but this one is miles above them.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
that's the way to go.
Get the lil women involved and their approval. Always makes tool shopping and delivery special times.

You got that right! My wife is helping me reorganize my shop and "making me" spend more than I would if left to my own devices.

Nice haul, Flathead fisher! Do I see a Veritas burnisher in the pile? I keep debating getting a dedicated burnisher. I use a crescent wrench handle to burnish my scrapers :embaresse.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I couldn't get the block plane I bought at Sears for 12 bucks to work at all. After some reading, I checked the sole and found it wasn't flat. It wouldn't cut because it was dipped in where the iron came out. So, I ordered this to replace it:

that is kinda like saying. ya know i got tired of tinkering with with my kia so i just ordered a mercedes.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Buy an excellent tool - cry once.
Buy cheap stuff - cry many times by replacing it and the jobs that have been messed up. :BangHead:

Always - buy your best tool first !!!!!:eusa_danc

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Buy an excellent tool - cry once.
Buy cheap stuff - cry many times by replacing it and the jobs that have been messed up.
Bas' variation: Buy a cheap tool first. If it meets your needs, great! You've saved yourself money for another tool. If it doesn't meet your needs, go buy the real thing, and appreciate it twice as much.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
That is a Veritas Burnisher. I read someplace that this give a more consistent edge. It works well.

I knew the Sears plane wouldn't be the best in the world. But, I figured I could make it work if I messed with it enough. If I took enough metal off to make it work, there wouldn't be much left in places! At least the Kia will run off the lot!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I am in awe.

I tried using your logic on LOML and whe just rolled her eyes, and said "it's a little late now...the bedroom set is finished". :no:

I'm dreaming of a LN Christmas. So far I just have your sears version.

Chuck

medic

New User
john
How do you get to keep all the money you save to buy all your nice tools, I save mine some money, and she finds something else to spend it on

:kermit:

woodguy1975

New User
John
Awesome Gloat. You'll love having good hand tools. There is nothing like getting a polished surface with a hand plane.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
That is a Veritas Burnisher. I read someplace that this give a more consistent edge. It works well.

I knew the Sears plane wouldn't be the best in the world. But, I figured I could make it work if I messed with it enough. If I took enough metal off to make it work, there wouldn't be much left in places! At least the Kia will run off the lot!

I went through a few different tools before finding that the handle of a particulary nice large crescent wrench works well. People who say you can use the shaft of a screwdriver obviously pay more for their screw drivers than I do. :rolf: In retrospect I probably would have been better off getting a burnisher. If I had one I could sharpen my scrapers in front of people. :embaresse

I have a recent Buck Bros (newer ones are cheap imports) that is a lot like your Sears model. I got a surprise upgrade on it that was part of a recent cheap guy gloat. I now have a no name but made in US vintage block plane that is dead flat and square. What a difference!

Anyway, congrats again! I would love to have an LN or few...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS