Jewelry box- WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cato

New User
Bob
So after getting this far then I decided to read up on box building, design, and construction.
P1010005.jpg

Jeez jumped in head first and from reading Doug Stowe and David Freedman books on the subject I broke a lot of rules, no no's and as usual had to deal with issues because well for one I have never built a dovetail box, used transtint, or had to work on such tiny little pieces of wood.

Here is where I am so far with the first of three boxes for my girls. Only thing I did right was start early, since I am so slow to complete projects.

P1010010-1.jpg

Finished this with sealcoat of shellac, orange transtint, amber shellac, dark paste wax, and thin coat of waterlox finisher sealer. The dark wax helped blend in and mask a dye run on the back panel.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Looks great Bob!:icon_thum

What kind of wood is that? Will you be adding a divided shelf covered with flocking on the inside?

Sure looks like to didn't break that many rules of box making and the girls will treasure their jewelry chests for a very long time.

Wayne

Cato

New User
Bob
Looks great Bob!:icon_thum

What kind of wood is that? Will you be adding a divided shelf covered with flocking on the inside?

Sure looks like to didn't break that many rules of box making and the girls will treasure their jewelry chests for a very long time.

Wayne
Wayne, thanks for the nice comments.

With the mistakes I made on this one I should really make a replacement for this one when it self destructs!!

wood is walnut on everything but drawer bottom which is red cedar and drawer front is butternut dyed to match the walnut carcass.

Yes will make divided shelf tray and got some kind of self adhesive felt for the tray and drawer bottom. Both will have dividers.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Bob, you are off to a good start. Not sure what rules you broke but as long as your recipient is happy, don't worry too much about it!
The woods look like a good choice. Your dovetails look tight.
The next one(s) will be easier as you will have more knowledge and experience!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
That's a fine looking jewelry box Bob. For the innards, I strongly recommend Suede-Tex. It's very easy to apply. Just brush on the adhesive to the surfaces to be covered, then blow on the Suede-Tex material with the little pump that is used with it. After 16 hours, turn the box upside down and shake out the particles that didn't adhere to the box. It will leave a nice suede finish that conforms to all the contours where applied. I put the item to be flocked in a cardboard box before dusting on the Suede-Tex material. I catch all the loose stuff and return it to the plastic bag to be used on the next application. It can be purchased at Woodcraft, or a lot cheaper by buying from on-line suppliers. Keep up the great work! Happy sawdusting!:eusa_danc

bash

New User
bash
That box looks great.
+1 on the Suede-Tex. I used it for the first time a few months ago - very easy with good results.

Cato

New User
Bob
Thank you all for your positive comments.

I could take some close ups of a little gap here and a little gap there in joinery, and I have worries about wood movement in the top and bottom that I will address in my next couple of boxes.

I was going to use some filler for those little gaps, but decided not to and let it rest on its own as my first box.

My wife may have the best attitude when I point these mistakes out to her. She says, but it's hand made and so you can't expect it to be perfect.

She is probably meaning, but you made it so there is no way its going to be any better!!!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
One day many years from now, when the kids show the box to somebody, they are going to say, "Daddy made this for me!". The other person is gonna say, "wow, that's really beautiful."

The box looks beautiful to me. :icon_thum :icon_thum

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS