I want to learn bowl turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
My first few attempts were slightly disastrous, and a little violent. :lol:

I do chisel handles and basic spindle stuff from time to time but could use some pointers with the bowl thing, starting right at the beginning from wood types and sources, grain orientation right on up from there.

I have a HF lathe, a grizzly chuck, and basic chisels.

What is the best way to learn bowl turning basics? Videos? Online?

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I learned by turning perfectly good blanks into piles of worthless shavings. I kept at it until I started making something that ended up round and somewhat hollow in the middle ;-). Since then I've watched a few videos, taken some classes, and worked over more blocks of wood. I'm no expert, but I'd be happy to help out if I can.

One of my favorite videos was made by Steven Russell you can find his stuff here: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/

Coulpens

New User
Ron
Instruction by a real live person is best IMO.

Woodcraft classes are fair to great depending on the individual instructor.

Schools like John C. Campbell & Arrowmont can advance skills very rapidly.

Check these out & don't pass up offers of help from members.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Chris, you are welcome to come over any time and I will show you what I know. I find that I learn best with a one-on-one teaching. Also I have the same set-up as you so you will get a good feel for what is possible.
Dave:)

JRD

New User
Jim
I'd be willing to help you in any way I can, however my work schedule with times and days off is extremely erratic. If I can, I'll help.

I'd also recommend the basic classes at NCSU's Crafts Center. I took a basic class there and walked away with a lot of knowledge that got me started. Their woodworking classes are excellent and their shop has everything you'd ever need.

Jim

Last edited:

edspec

New User
steve
Del Stubbs "Bowl Turning" DVD provides excellent technique and insight on how to avoid common catches along with the Raffan series.

If you are a member of a wood turning association they may have a library of AAW Symposium videos that have a wide variety of demos to watch.

You can't beat having someone to show you, answer your questions and provide feedback on your progress.

Steve

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Wow, thanks for all the advice. I think for starters I'll get the Grumbine vid and check that out. Then I may take one of you guys up on the live and in person offer. I can definitely learn more hands on.

Thanks again everyone.

J

jeff...

Chris, you are welcome to come over any time and I will show you what I know. I find that I learn best with a one-on-one teaching. Also I have the same set-up as you so you will get a good feel for what is possible.
Dave:)

See how Dave so gently urges you to come to the spinny side? :lol:

jimwill48

James
Turned my 1st big (6") bowl this weekend...cheaped out and used popular....it came out OK, along way from great, it gets a little scary when whe you start to hollow deep. :roll:And I do have to admit I had to chase down the bowl when it came free from the chuck and went spinning like a top across the shop (also screwing up the tendon) note to self ...when you start to hear wried noise when hollowing, stop and check..... 8-O

I bought a 3/8" Ben. Best bowl gouge and hated the way it was ground...reground into a stright accoss profile with swept back sides and didn't have a catch since most of the cutting is with the sides anyway...will try to get a photo and upload a pic of the gouge.

A quick question! Do you turn a tendon (spigot??) on the bottom of the bowl to place in a chuck to hollow...and if you do how do you keep the chuck jaws from marking the tendon?

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS