I may have made a big mistake....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I made my wife some noggin' knockers :eek::swoon::swoon:

Over the Holiday the LOML (the most beautiful, sweet, and smart AudreyO) did a bit of carving with her Dad. She commented to me that it would be nice to have a mallet to help with the bulk chiseling. I must have had a bit too much holiday libations 'cause I agreed. This afternoon I set forth to make her a mallet (or my murder weapon).
I turned the first one out of Ipe, from a piece of scrap 4 x 4 I got off a job site.

LOML_Noggin_Knocker_001.jpg

I say the first one because I actually made two mistakes. I tried to down size the mallet to fit her hands and strength. But with the Ipe this mallet ended up quite heavy. Plus I really liked the way it felt :eek:

So I set out to make one more petite, and not as coveted by me:roll:
The second one is a Walnut and Red Oak lamination. It definitely weighs less but with the longer handle can still pack a wallop.

LOML_Noggin_Knocker_004.jpg

So if y'all don't hear from me soon it's because I gave my wife a noggin' knocker after leaving her in Wilmington for a few days with our daughter while I came home to get some shop time :cool:

Thanks for looking!

Dave:)

PChristy

New User
Phillip
When I first seen this thread I thought "Dave, make a mistake - no way" but I see now what you mean:rotflm: Great job on the mallets:icon_thum

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
You are in too deep, we will never be able to rescue you:rotflm::rotflm:

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Daveo make a mastake. I dont think so:no:
Your brave I wouldnt dare do that:nah:
Oh by the way nice turnnings

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking mallets Dave. But yes, you better be careful. I'd make sure she hasn't been talking to Sawduster lately...he's been known to whack someone in the head with heavy wooden objects....

That's all I'm sayin'.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Dave make a mistake? No Way! :no:But you better walk the fine line or you are going too be "Walking Tall" with a knot on your head! :eek: You made the weapons and it looks like your mallets fit you both! :eusa_doh: Great job and I will say a prayer for you! :eusa_pray :rotflm:

Terry:gar-La;

lottathought

New User
Michael
So I noticed that the compliments to the wife were directly proportional to the oz of the mallet. :gar-Bi:gar-La;:banana:

J

jeff...

Great looking mallets Dave. But yes, you better be careful. I'd make sure she hasn't been talking to Sawduster lately...he's been known to whack someone in the head with heavy wooden objects....

That's all I'm sayin'.

ah I'm not saying a word either Bas - I got hit in the foot with a hammer then a snake bit me on the wrist... Don't mess with FredP.

P101000126.JPG

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dave, no mistake. You used good hard woods so they won't dent when she hits you. :wwink:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
You better be very nice to that pretty young lady or you'll be seein' stars...

Great job on the turnings!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Boy 'O Boy..............you're in for it now, Dave!!!:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

Talkin' 'bout "just askin' for it" ??!!

I'd be careful from now on!

You really did do a fine job on the mallet's. I need to do something like that for my chisels:widea:.

Nice work!

Wayne

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
no problem dave. you just keep suckin up and ur safe.:rotflm: jeff... that hurts buddy!:gar-Cr hope it heals quick. copperhead? had one get me many moons ago. put me down for quite a while.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
DaveO didn't make a mistake, no way!!!!:no:

That is what you call a PROTOTYPE!!!! You make the first one and do a "test fit" with the person you made it for, only to find that there needed to be an adjustment, and then there was a slight design change, and the second one is the final product. Mistake??? Nah, it's one of those "I meant to do that" situations. Now all you have to do is put a rear view mirror on your noggin so you'll know if one of them is aimed for you....:rolf:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
How long is the Ipe one?

Paul

The Ipe mallet is about 9½" long, the other one is about 10½"

What's really funny/interesting is the the Ipe mallet weights 16.9 oz, the Oak/Walnut laminated one weights in at 7.3 oz.
And this big Maple/PH mallet I turned for myself a while ago -
Avaatzoomallet006.jpg

Only weights 22.5 oz.
That Ipe is some heavy stuff :eek::eek:

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS