How to get a 700lb crate out of the back of a truck (pre-gloat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Tom,

It was store bought, originally it was used for R&R of industrial motors and pumps. It has two A-frames on wheels connected to a big I-beam, the chain fall sits on a trolley that moves back and forth. It sets up with pins for easy set up and break down. Maximum wt. is one ton. It's not small, but fits inside me 8' truck bed laying down when unassembled. The weight is not bad because it's solid aluminum. I don't have any pictures of it assembled right now, because I just broke it down. Two man set-up, with one six ft. ladder takes about 5 minutes.

It's available to anyone in the area who needs it.

Jimmy

I would like to see pictures of it. Is it home built or store bought?

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
A ramp a comealong and two-people (one in a pinch), or a shop-crane and one person.

If you can get a lawnmower trailer, you can stick some movers dolleys under the crate and roll it out.

Getting stuff into and out of the back of a pickup is easy compared to doing that with a minivan. For example, a 700# drum sander :lol:
Sander_unloading002_edited_640.jpg

-Mark

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Kevin, The most simple and cost effective solution would seem to be to hire a roll-back tow truck to pick it up at the terminal, deliver it to your place and slide it off into your garage. Shouldn't cost more than 50 to 60 dollars and absolutely no effort or aggravation on your part. I think it is worth that.

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Kevin:

Nice choice-I was looking at that as well. I have the winch stacker from the Woodcraft store (R.I.P.) and it is rated for 770 lbs.

David

420-0267

Hey David,

I'm not familiar with a winch stacker. I did a search and found this:
a4_1_b.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compact-Winch-S...hZ013QQcategoryZ97185QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

That would be perfect! I could have them load up the truck at the shipping depot and back the truck into the garage with the tailgate off and lift it right off.

Are the stabilizer legs on yours adjustable?

Thanks,
Kevin

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
All,

Thank you so much for the multiple offers of assistance that I've received on this thread.

I was worried about a trailer on my driveway as the approach is a bit steep and I think that it would drag on the bottom of the trailer's tailgate when backing up.

So I think that the winch stacker is the way to go. David, I'll call you on friday to work out a time to take you up on your offer.

Again, thanks to all for the offers of assistance. This forum rocks.

Kevin

PS: Anyone looking for a nice, never used, Shopfox 8 Parallelogram bed jointer?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow!! That's an awesome looking machine! 8-O

I wouldn't risk damaging that beast getting it up that steep drive and into your shop. Let's keep it in my shop until you buy a new house!! :lol: :lol:

That SF 8 inch is a darn good machine, too.

How do you end up with two new, never used jointers? Woodguy Disease?? :)

Chuck

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i'd like to know your opinion of the GRIZZLY Jointer Planer. I'm seriously considering it myself.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
I bought an 800 pound wood stove at Home Depot in asheville. It was in a wood crate and I hauled it home in the back of my pick up truck.
I just got two 2x10's 10 ft long and set them on the tailgate. Four neighbors helped to slide it onto the 2x10's which I had greased with a pound of lard. It slid easily down the skids ,through my basement sliding glass door (which was open) and onto a dolly at the bottom. Ithen pushed it into the basement to the location I wanted it, and removed the dolly.
"No sweat", But it did cost me almost a case of beer! :eusa_clap

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I bet if you cut up those 2 x 10's for firewood that they'll burn nicely. And as a bonus you'll get the smell of bacon to boot.

Jimmy

Shamrock

New User
Michael
If you've got U-haul close by rent the smallest truck with one of those long sliding metal ramps. At the depot they'll forklift it right into the truck and then you can dolly it out down the ramp with 1 other person. I did this with my grizzly jointer and it's smooth and easy. Costs about $50 bucks with gas if you live fairly close to a uhaul rental place! Good luck --Mike M.

:BangHead: clamps -clamps -why do I never have enough clamps

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Went through the same dilema when I got my 12" jointer/planer from Andreou Machinery a couple of years ago. Had it delivered to the local FedEx terminal, where they loaded it onto the back of my truck with their forklift. Got it home (in the rain), backed the truck as close as possible to the shop door.
From there, I used my mower ramps to slide it to the floor of the shop. Like others have stated, don't use the tailgate as a platform to help unload this beast. You may have to spend some money on body repairs.
This is best done with other humans there for assistance, but I just put my gym workouts to good use, went slow and used leverage.
By the way. Congrats on the new iron. You will love the space-savings offered by a combo machine. And make money as well when you sell your other seperates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS