How to get a 700lb crate out of the back of a truck (pre-gloat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
All,

I just got a confirmation email that my new machinery just shipped from Grizzly. (Pre-gloat)

The major issue I have now is how to get it off the truck. Overnite charges more for lift-gate service and that's just to the bottom of your driveway, and my driveway is a steep.

So I was thinking about picking it up at the depot, which is not far from my house, with my F150.

That would get me up to the garage, but then the question is how do I get a 700lb crate off the truck and on to the ground?

When I bought my G0566 I hired a moving company to get it into the garage.

Any ideas?

Kevin

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
My thought is get a wrecker driver to swing by with a truck that has a cable type winch lift on the back, (old strap type wrecker) and lift it with that. The other idea would be to rent an engine lift like you'd use to pull an engine out of a car with, and use that cautiously.

Bryan S

Bryan
Kevin is it completely assembled or could it possibely be in sub-assemblies but shipped in one crate, or could you partially disassemble it? Other than that the only thing I could suggest are several big-ol-boys.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
if you had access to a trailer that would be the easiest way to get it home. a trailer is lower to the ground. when you get it to the shop disconect the trailer from the truck. pry the crate up and place a few pieces of pipe under it. then connect a hoist or a come along to the fromt of the trailer to hold the crate. then raise the front of the trailer [if you center the tool over the axle this is easy to do.] use the hoist or come along to let the tool down to the rear of the trailer moving the pipes as needed it will roll down under its own weight. once it is to the floor put a dolly under it or just use the pipes to roll it into the shop. then use the hoist or come along attached to the shop ceiling or to an overhead beam to lift it and remove the pallet. I have done this several times by myself. the last time was a 880 LB planer. if you can get the truck in the shop [ cant do it in my shop ] just lift it off with the come along and drive out from under it. then lower it to the floor and remove the crate. lift the tool to remove the pallet.

fred

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I brought my bandsaw (900 lbs) home on the back of my GMC truck. Once I got it close to where I wanted I used a couple of ramps off the back of the truck and then we slid it off the back of the truck. Once inside the shop, we used 1 1/2" steel pipe to get it close to where I wanted to unpack it.

4 strong men should be able to slide it off your truck onto ramps. I would recommend no less.

J

jeff...

I think overnite will get it to the back of the truck. less you get a lazy driver - the rest is yours. To bad your not closer or I would move it with the bobcat for you.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
To unload a 600 lb table saw last spring, I rigged a 12 foot ramp to the back of the truck and slid it down. It was a piece of cake. I would recommend removing the tailgate because I don't believe they were designed for that much weight.

The ramp was the platform that I had built for my pump jacks for working on the house so it was handy for me. If I had to build one for the unload I probably would have tried plan B (take the thing apart on the truck) or plan C (bunch of friends) first. I did look at it on the bed of the truck for days before I decided which scheme to try.

T

toolferone

Well I like Fred's trailer idea. In fact I have a trailer with a drop down gate you can borrow. It has a 1 7/8" hitch on it. I have moved some really heavy tools off that trailer (1500 lb cap.). I hook a handtrck under one edge of the pallet like a lever and pull it down the ramp (if the tool is not to tall /top heavy). Let me know. Also dont't the power off this group. It is not hard to get several helping hands when needed. We work cheap, beer or coffee cover most of us here.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dozer and his boy, you can sit back and just supervise. Heck, Dozer might be able to supervise also...that boy is strong 8-O8-O

Dave:)

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
All,

Thanks for the replies so far.

I think that I like the idea of the trailer. My neighbor has an engine hoist that I can use to lift it off if needed as it will be low enough compared to up on the truck. I was going to use it to lift the machine off the ground and get the mobile base on.

I don't have a tailer, so may take up the offer of one. My 2007 F150 doesn't have a receiver hitch on it, but the bumper does have a mount for a ball and hook-ups for lights from the factory. The towing specs show that the factory bumper can take up to 5000lbs with a 500lb tongue weight. Should be ok, right?

The machine is fully assembled from what I've read. Enough teasing, here is the pre-gloat photo:

g0634.jpg

I went with the spiral cutter head, and am really looking forward to using it.

Kevin

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
All,

I don't have a tailer, so may take up the offer of one. My 2007 F150 doesn't have a receiver hitch on it, but the bumper does have a mount for a ball and hook-ups for lights from the factory. The towing specs show that the factory bumper can take up to 5000lbs with a 500lb tongue weight. Should be ok, right?

Kevin

My 2004 F150 does have the frame mounted box hitch and I live in Cary. I have a weak back but an even weaker mind so if you need help, send me a PM.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is TOTALLY disgusting!!! Sweet. Look forward to seeing the REAL pictures and hearing what you think of it once you get it into production!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Kevin, I have a small trailer that you're welcome to borrow. It will handle the weight w/o any problems, and it will also allow you to get your neighbor's engine hoist underneath it for unloading.

You'll need a 2" ball.

You will want to use either some chains (5/16 transport would work well) or slings to put under the crate for picking with the hoist. I can include somethere there too if you need it.

For that matter, I can include an engine hoist with the trailer as well!

Let me know.

Scott

J

jeff...

Dozer and his boy, you can sit back and just supervise. Heck, Dozer might be able to supervise also...that boy is strong 8-O8-O

Dave:)

Like the Dozer supervising idea, he's a great supervisor :icon_thum

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Kevin,

I have a portable aluminum gantry with a chainfall that's good for a ton. I could lend it to you or be there and help unload it. The gantry breaks down into 5 pcs., none weighing more than about 80 lbs., It transports nicely in my pickup. The only problem is that I need a minimum of about 8'6" clearance. I also have rigging straps. It works so well that only two people are needed to do the job, one to work the chainfall and one to guide the piece.

I am in Clayton, just let me know when, my ph# is 919-550-0885, cell is 919-333-7882.

Good luck,

Jimmy

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
One more thing that I forgot, the gantry is on wheels and is wide enough to fit my Dodge Ram 1500 between it.

Jimmy

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
i have a beam in my carport and a small (but heavy dutie) lawnmower trailer. it would be a lot eazier to unload here and put it in my shop if that would solve your delemia.

but if you insist on cluttering up you shop. just yesterday i loaded two oak logs onto my truck using a trypod made of 3 4x4x16's and a come-a-long. i just lifeted the logs up and drove under neith them.

my unload method consist of driving backwards and slamming on the breaks....but you might not want to go there.

Nativespec

New User
David
Kevin:

Nice choice-I was looking at that as well. I have the winch stacker from the Woodcraft store (R.I.P.) and it is rated for 770 lbs.

David

420-0267

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors