How loud is your router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdhetrick

New User
Todd Hetrick
I know routers are loud, but what is the least loud router you have used or been around.

I need an upgrade and this is one of my issues. My current (old and cheap) router is so friggin loud my wife has to go to the other end of the house and close the bedroom door if I am using it in the garage just to talk on the phone. It’s louder than my planer I think.

Todd

DaveO

New User
DaveO
This is the least loud router I know of -
05p3801-dsp.jpg

I have several "tailed" routers, your typical assortment PC 1.75 HP, DW 2.5 HP, Bosch 1 HP and they all scream like a banshe with its tail on fire. Other than using an un-tailed version I don't think there is a quiet router.
MTCW,
Dave:)

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I know routers are loud, but what is the least loud router you have used or been around.

I need an upgrade and this is one of my issues. My current (old and cheap) router is so friggin loud my wife has to go to the other end of the house and close the bedroom door if I am using it in the garage just to talk on the phone. It’s louder than my planer I think.

Todd

In my experience, the noise more than doubles when the bit bites into wood. If the cutting is making the noise, it really isn't going to make much difference what drives it. I have a similar issue with my reciprocating carver. Rapid fire small cuts seem to make a more penetrating noise.

tdhetrick

New User
Todd Hetrick
In my experience, the noise more than doubles when the bit bites into wood. If the cutting is making the noise, it really isn't going to make much difference what drives it. I have a similar issue with my reciprocating carver. Rapid fire small cuts seem to make a more penetrating noise.

Yea thats normal right? Mine is so loud you can not even hear it go into the wood. It's an old all plastic craftsman.

Todd

CarvedTones

Andy
Yea thats normal right? Mine is so loud you can not even hear it go into the wood. It's an old all plastic craftsman.

Todd

Hopefully someone else will chime in as most of my router experience is on a consumer grade B&D (I just got a DeWalt but haven't used it yet, except to turn it on to hear the motor, which is not horribly loud). If I turn my router on without cutting, it is about as loud as a mixer. When I start cutting, it's like 2 blenders join in.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
My routers are anywhere from loud to really freakin' loud. I couldn't make any recommendations on a 'quiet router' sorry.

Jimmy:)

Kicbak

New User
Wes
I have the makita 1101 2 1/2 hp router. It is actually quiet (around 81 db) vs my pc 690 thats about 110 db. I purposely bought the makita b/c of the quietness compared to my PC. It also uses the same accessories and hole placement as PC so it really was an all around better choice for me.

Also I've noticed cheaper, duller or weaker (1/4") bits make so much more noise then a high quality, sharp 1/2" shank bits. I'm guessing the it is the vibration causing most of the extra noise.

Wes

CarvedTones

Andy
Also I've noticed cheaper, duller or weaker (1/4") bits make so much more noise then a high quality, sharp 1/2" shank bits. I'm guessing the it is the vibration causing most of the extra noise.

Wes

I think you are on to something there. I had a recent experience with a weak long 1/4" bit that I really knew better than to buy, but did anyway. During it's very brief operating life, it was incredibly loud.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
A lot of good comments have been made already about router noise and I think they are right on. High RPMs and hard wood will create noise no matter what router you use. I have found however that the noise can be reduced by a proper router table. I just finished this one last night and the noise is much reduced from a "non inclosed" table. My wife does not even know now when I use the table. I still use ear protection while I operate it but the noise level is way down.
router_table5.JPG

clowman

Clay Lowman
they all scream like a banshe with its tail on fire

Oh goodness... let me get up off the floor. Can't say I've heard this one, but I like it.

I have a PC 690. If I'm doing more than just a little routing, I use earplugs, otherwise, I have a buzzing in the ears for quite a while.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Other then my scroll saw or drill press there isn't any tool I used without both ear plugs and safety goggles. I think the main issue is that his router is so loud people across the state can hear it.

Are you using 1/4" bits of a lower quality? I'm sure you can check woodcraft or somebody on the board shop and see a better router with nice bits and see how much a difference it makes.

Wes

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have around 6 or 7 routers from Dewalt to PC. The "quietest" I have is the DW625. Soft start, smooth, but it is heavy, and it is a plunge router. My favorite is also one of my louder ones. A PC 690 with a D handle base. I also have a PC 7518 in a router table, and it too is a screaming banshee. Fortunately, it is now enclosed in a table.

The comment about cutters someone made I find to be a very true statement in more ways than one. For example, I now run a shaper for some things, and I can tell a huge difference raising a panel with a 3 wing shaper cutter compared to a 2 wing router bit. This is with taking double the depth of cut with the shaper as compared to the router table.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Todd....can't say as I've only ever had my cheap Ryobi.

Mark...that cabinet is beautiful....did you build it from a plan or did you come up with that yourself? Looks a little like Tom's (toolferone).

Will

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
I could'nt tell you. I have earplugs stuffed in whenever I fire up a router. Either hand-held or in the table, the plugs go in. Trying to protect the hearing while I can, so I don't go around yelling HUH!!!!!! all the time.

DavidF

New User
David
My Dewalt 618 is quieter than my Freud 2 hp, but either way I use ear muffs all the time. I am aware of the noise though and always close the shop door when routing, or planing to avoid annoying the neigbours. Until they get induction motors into Routers I guess they are all noisy. May Festool has a quieter one???

JimReed2160

New User
jim
My Dewalt 621 screams loud enough to wake up the entire neighborhood, but it is rarely in use. That is why I like plow planes and dado planes. I can cut a 1/8" groove with a Stanley #45 plane faster than I can get the router out and plug it in. I also save time by not having to shake sawdust out of my hair. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS