How loud is your router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

I think you've heard from everyone that they are loud to louder - my advice is you always wear good earmuff hearing protection and give your wife some AO Safety disposable foam ear plugs to use or a $5 gift card at her favorite store.

My quietest router is the one that is turned off (I have five -- the 1/4" P-C trim router and 1/4" Trend T3 are the quieter at 80-90 db without load, the PC 690's are loud at 95-105 db without load and the 3-1/2 HP Milwaukee in my router table hums in at 90 - 100 db).

cpowell

New User
Chuck
my advice is to... give your wife a $5 gift card at her favorite store.

I don't think LOML would budge for a 5 dollar gift card. :rotflm:

I have the same experience with router noise, inherently loud universal motor, and removing stock with a high rpm bit seems to make a lot of noise too. I wear comfortable ear muffs unless I'm using hand tools.

Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't use this as an opportunity to add a "quiet" router to your inventory, and, just maybe add some "quiet" cutters to the mix, too. :lol:

Chuck

tdhetrick

New User
Todd Hetrick
Hmm well I'm thinking about the Makita rd 1101 as sugested by someone here. It's a good excuse to get a new router, and if it is quieter at all it will be worth it.

As far as giving my wife ear plugs... I think would also solve the problem because I would be dead and burried with the router in hand.

Todd

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
My Bosch 1617 EVS is quiet. Do not need ear protection until I kick on the vacuum and put wood to bit. Gets noisier then, but depends on bit/wood, and depth of cut. Cutting a 1" deep 3/8 mortise it is much quieter than my old Craftsman is just running.

Go

J

jeff...

Speak up Sonny - I can't hear you - I've been in the shop using my Makita 3612BR 3 1/4 HP router again. Seriously it's kicking loud, by far a lot louder than my planer or my saw mill, I think the home made cabinet I have it in makes it even louder. Had it on one day and my daughter came to get me for dinner, stood in the doorway of the shop screaming at me - I didn't hear a thing but I saw her lips moving and arms flopping around :gar-La;.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
I highly recommend checking into the Makita 1101. I've been extremely happy with it. Its about the weight of my pc 690 but with more power. I use it in the table but I will also use it for bigger dados or lap joints that is a bit tougher on my 690. I have both the standard and plunge base and have been happy with both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS