hollow mortise chisel

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanmarman2007

New User
Jody
I just got my new drill press. I was really wanting a dedicated mortise machine, but my old drill press died first so I had to replace it first. My question to you guys is, what do you think about the bolt on hollow mortise chisel. Should I wait to get the machine or go with bolt on.
Thanks, Jody

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I really think waiting to acquire a good stand alone mortiser would be your best option.:icon_thum

When you look at the wear and tear on your drill press versus the cost of the attachment, you could pick up a good used mortiser for about the same price and be much happier.

Wayne

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Jody,

How much mortising will you do? I always think that you have to do a LOAD of anything before you spend the money for a machine dedicated to that task. If you are only going to do the occasional mortise and tenon joint, you might consider a good Forstner bit in that new drill press and then clean out the hole with a sharp chisel. If you will do loads of mortises, then the dedicated machine might be the way to go. Attaching / detaching the the drill press accessories can be a time-consuming pain. The longer handle on the dedicated machine makes the job easier too (more leverage), particularly with hard woods.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I found the bolt on set up to be very time consuming to set up. It works well, but you spend a lot of time getting it assembled and the fence assembly is not the easiest thing to set up and get you going.

Then on the other hand is cost and space. Another machine is going to take more space and and more cash.

Personally, I would prefer a dedicated machine.

wayne

New User
wayne
Jody

I have a delta add on mortiser attachment for a drill press I will take 30.00 for it if you are interested
Still in the plastic case, never been used. PM if interested.

Wayne

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jody, I have the Delta drill press add-on but have never used it. I started to attach it and it just seemed too HF for me so I stopped and went and bought a Steelex ST1005 dedicated machine. I will never use the Delta so if you want I can send it your way and if you find it useful you can send me whatever you like. Just PM your address and I will get it on the way.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Awhile back one of the woodworking magazines did a survey asking something like, "What was the worst tool purchase you ever made?" The bolt on mortising attachment for a drill press won hands down. As you've already seen, several people have offered to sell you theirs cheap because it never get's used. I've got one in a box somewhere, just collecting dust. What a waste. :nah:

Bill

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Yeah, I'm with Ray on this one. I don't do enough mortising to make the machine a worthwhile purchase given my budget right now. Forstner bit and chisel (or alternative joinery) is the way I go. If you do alot of them a dedicated machine is probably worth the investment.

Travis

4yanks

New User
Willie
I have a dedicated floor model mortiser. I love it. It doesn't get used often but when it does I am grateful I have it. I have used an attachment for the drill press. I hated it. I still feel guilty about giving it away. To think I allowed someone else to suffer as I had. I would rough out the mortises with the drill press and finish by hand until you can get a dedicated machine.

jhreed

New User
james
I think you get the point. So many are willing to give you the add on. That should tell you something. Go ahead and get the add on from one of our generous members. Then watch Craig's List for a dedicated hollow chisel mortiser. That is the way I got my Delta dedicated mortising machine. I paid $60.00 for mine. I have seen at least a dozen recently for $100.00 and less. When you get your dedicated machine, you can donate the add on to another one of our members.
James

Rob

New User
Rob
I have a bench top dedicated mortising machine I picked up here for a great price. It doesn't get used much, but I love it when I need it.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have a Delta drill press. My brother gave me his new, never used Jet mortising attachment. They do not interchange. The Jet has a larger diameter round shaft than the Delta I have, so I bought his Jet drill press. Still don't use the mortising attachment.:dontknow:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I used a mortising attachment to make 100 wheel hubs for an antique reproduction wheel barrow. I cut 8 mortices in each hub so 800 mortices and it took less than a week to cut them all. It worked fine for me and saved at least a hundred hours of hand chopping mortices. I have a set now but haven't needed to use it yet. I won't get rid of it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors