Highland Woodworking

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
How has been everyone's experience with ordering from Highland's Woodworking? I just placed an order and 3/4 of the order was back-ordered. The website didn't reflect any of the items as being out of stock. I can understand that the Narex chisels were out of stock(but was told they would be back in stock on Monday(labor day)(sic) well maybe he meant Tues) after the magazine article. But something like a Stanley #80 Cabinet Scraper was out of stock - and the person I talked to said he has no idea when it might be in stock, but hey we are sending the extra #80 blade you ordered.:sad11: Oh, well thanks for letting me vent.

James

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Hmmm... I was down there at their physical store about a week ago. Seemed like a well run business and they were very helpful. I've never ordered online from them, but I would certain call and explain the situation and share the frustration -- as they might not be aware that they are upsetting customers.

As for the Narex chisels, I did see some on their shelf ... but not many. Several sizes were cleared out after that article posted ... so they told me.

jimwill48

James
Well if anyone would have an issue it would be me, thats the way my luck runs :dontknow:. Will wait to see if the rest of the chisels come in next week as promised but if they still can't tell me when the Stanley #80 will ship, I quess I can cancel on that item and pick one up local at either Woodcraft or Klingspor. I was going to pick one up last Sat. when I was at Klingspor and started talking and forgot to get it LOL. So I thought I might as well order it along with Narex chisels.

:eusa_booh

James

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I did have an issue last year. I ordered a Wolverine jig and new pair of Norton wheels. Got the jig in about 5 days, but didn't see either Norton wheel for about a month.:BangHead: After a quick call to them, I found out that the manufacturer had some delays in restocking their supply.:gar-La;

They were very courteous when I called and the rep apologized numerous times during the conversation.

I figured. Hey it happens..... I would use them again, though!:wsmile:

Wayne

M

McRabbet

James, Despite your issues with the items you wanted being on backorder, we sure hope you used the Highland Hardware Ad link on the Index page so the site gets a little back from them (it doesn't affect your price). Just a reminder!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have always had great service when I have ordered from them. But I would suspect that with the Narex chisels, the demand fueled by the great FWW review has overwhelmed their stock. I am glad I ordered mine early :wwink:

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've had a problem before with a band saw blade being slightly too short. Replacement blade: same story. Then they were out of stock, so it took a few weeks before I finally got it. But, customer service was excellent at every step of the way - it was worth the wait.

DavidF

New User
David
No bad experience here over the years. They have, by far my favorite catalogue! I read from cover to cover when that one arrives!

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I can only say good things about Highland Woodworking. I've been ordering from them for quite a few years by phone and by internet. The few times that items were backordered or I had problems with items received they have always made it right as soon a possible. I prefer to order from them over other sources if they stock the item that I want.
My biggest problem with them was a backordered Leigh Jig part. They had a computer crash and lost the record of my backorder. This was quickly corrected when I called to find out where the part was. Hey, SH*T happens, especially when computers are involved.

Charley

jack briggs

New User
jabguit
I've done business with Highland for several years with no problems. Just received an order yesterday, and again - no issues.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
James, Despite your issues with the items you wanted being on backorder, we sure hope you used the Highland Hardware Ad link on the Index page so the site gets a little back from them (it doesn't affect your price). Just a reminder!
There have only been 9 click throughs and no sales recorded. A little bit better with rockler. Google, so far is the money maker. Much better than I thought

M

McRabbet

Ironically, I placed an order through the site link to Highland Hardware on 8/28/08 and paid with a MC. Total order with shipping was $32.97; Order number was 106527. You may want to check with Highland Hardware to see if the link is not working or if there is a $ threshhold (My order was $24.98 and they might not pay you for less than $25).

I've placed several orders from Highland, including some Narex chisels that I knew were backordered when I ordered them. They carry figure 8's for attaching table tops etc., for example. I like them. They make more errors than many other online retailers but they always make them right. I placed several orders in one day last week and they combined them to reduce my shipping costs. Nice people, good stuff, OK prices, high shipping prices on small items. I will continue to buy from them and hope to visit the store in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS