Hi, I need pix of fresh cut burl wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Can some of you post some pix of some fresh cut burl wood? I have yet to cut any with my mill but Im very curious about doing so.:-?

J

jeff...

Butcher here's a picture of what was under a burl cap, but is the only thing I have to show you. this was some of the elm I cut back in the summer. Even though it had one nice burl cap it was nothing real interesting at all and looked more like a branch than a burl.

Aug27_03.JPG

I took a syscamore burl cap to Clay that was the shape of a hat, the inside was pretty rotten. I thought for sure he hollow it out and make a helmet out of it, for one of his kids :lol:. But I think he mentioned he cut it up for pen blanks and didn't get that many out of it.

Look for strange growth hanging off the trunk, it's usally in the form of some kind of swelling. Burl comes in all shapes and sizes from small bumps on the log to massive growths. Depending how big the burl is I might skim the top of the cap with my blade, climb up on the mill and have a look see. If's it's interesting I'll slice it off at 5/4 thick till I reach the trunk then set the chunks aside for pen blanks. The guys here really like burl pen blanks. If it's not interesting it goes for firewood.

I bet Kyle has some cool pics of burl.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've been hunting for burl pics, but all that I could find was burl that has been finished/sealed/moistened to show the figure better. But if those type pics would interest you here is a whole lot of sources
Burl Wood

Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Given that it was the middle of winter and there were no leaves on this cherry tree, it was obvious that the burl had killed the tree. :roll: It had to come down. :-? Anyway..hope these pix help.
Cherry_Burl_001.jpg

Cherry_Burl_011.jpg

Cherry_Burl_022.jpg

Watch out for bugs :)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:rolf: funny...
I'm guessing someone was out hunting and shot this tree..that's why the burl developed. I kept finding little metal pellets when I was cutting it. Thought that was interesting....
Chris

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Man, I live in Waxhaw NC and I have yet to find any burl. I know it's here I just can't seem to find it. I wanna cut some in a bad way. I wish someone would call me to do some milling and when I get there lo and behold there would be a huge burl there. If any of you know where I can find some please let me know. I'll pay if I must. :rolf:

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Burls are scrounged pretty rapidly around here by the turners. I get most bigguns from out west (Claro and Big leaf maple)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS