HF 12" combo square set

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I think the value of exact center marking is usually overblown. I use a regular sliding square and guess marking it from both sides. The center is the gap between my two marks and if I am lucky they are about a kerf width apart. :)

I like having a lot of squares and rulers though, so I can keep them at hand in different spots. About half the time I need one, I am holding something I need to measure or align. If you aren't as scatterbrained as me, you can get by with fewer.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I bought a set of squares there last year, I think there were 3 in a pack for $10 - the problem is none of them are very accurate. On a small 5" square, it was off between 1/32 and 1/16, which doesn't seem like a lot, but it was enough to really mess up the cuts for the picture frame I bought them for.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
That harbor freight combo square is a true piece of manure. Falls in to pieces when you remove the rule, not accurate, overall shoddy construction. I keep one around to loan to my neighbor I don't like.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
That harbor freight combo square is a true piece of manure. Falls in to pieces when you remove the rule, not accurate, overall shoddy construction. I keep one around to loan to my neighbor I don't like.

I don't have experience with this particular set, but I did get a cheapy that Grizzly threw in once. It performed much like the above, and I would expect this would too. I think I gave mine to my neighbor when he admired it.

Glennbear

Glenn

This was precisely my experience also. :nah: Although a set of this type is handy the HF version is definitely not worth the expenditure. :wsmile:

lottathought

New User
Michael
I actually picked up a nice Craftsman sq last year.
My personal opinion is that there are a lot of ways to cut cost....... but it is not a good idea to do it with your measurements.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
If you already have a square of some kind... ask a friend who has a Starrett or the like, to check yours against theirs. One thing that's generally quite accurate are the (cheap plastic) drafting tools, like triangles, that you find at craft centers (Michael's, AC Moore's, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS