Help Needed - Raleigh Klingspor Woodworking Showcase -Saturday, April 26, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I posted about this before, but I've waited until Paul was able to be more specific. Then I kept forgetting to actually make a sign up sheet.

First let me give you guys some reasons of why we should show support for Klingspor in general and Paul in particular.

Paul was the person that convinced Klingspor that we should be considered a club and get club discounts. Since that time, they have been staunch supporters of us. Not just in words, but in action, which is what really counts.

At Klingspor's Fall extravaganza, we have been given free floor space and private rooms. We get our discounts. And yesterday when I went by to see what I could get for picnic door prizes, I walked out with several things, including a Worksharp 3000 and a Kreg K3 Master Jig Set.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Now the purpose of this post. Paul would like us to have a table at this woodworking competition just to show we support them.

So the table will need to be manned from 9:30 to about 3:00. I will be there on and off for most of the day and I would like to have one other person. So please sign up for the following time periods:
7:30 - 9:30 Setup - Steve Coles, Don Sorenson
9:30 - 10:30 - FredP
10:30 - 11: 30​
11:30 - 12:30 - Bill Pappas
1:30 - 2:30 Dozer
2:30 - 3:30 DaveO
In addition, they need help setting up and checking in entries starting at 7:30. I will be there for that, but I would certainly appreciate one other person to help. Please sign up for that.

In addition they would like to have demos going on. This time I would like us to stay away from pen turning. It seems that is always what we we do, I wouldn't want us to get known for just doing that.:nah::no:

Something Bas' worksharp demo would be great. I have something else in mind for me to do, but I don't want say anything until I'm sure it is feasible.

Also Paul was hoping someone would demo hand cut dovetails. Any volunteers?????:gar-Bi Any other ideas would be welcome. Please PM me about anything you would be willing to demo and the times you would be available.

Demonstrations

Bas - 9:30 - ??? Worksharp Demo
Froplips - 10:00 - ??? Flattening Plane Soles using Scraping

Froglips - 11:00 - 11:00:30 Cat Juggling That's what Jim said:rotflm:

Doug Robinson - Bowls using a router
Note: Demo can overlap, so just pick your times

I will be bringing our fliers and North Carolina Woodworker name badges for the people signing up to do anything.

Last edited:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Steve:

I am willing to help. Just to be clear, this is not next week, but the 26th of April. I would be willing to demonstrate how to rout a bowl/tray. I can bring my router and base plus a template(s). I will have to work on the wood though. If you think the idea is good, should I call Paul?

Doug

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve:

I am willing to help. Just to be clear, this is not next week, but the 26th of April. I would be willing to demonstrate how to rout a bowl/tray. I can bring my router and base plus a template(s). I will have to work on the wood though. If you think the idea is good, should I call Paul?

Doug
Right, 4/26:thumbs_up

You don't need to call Paule about the demo, which I think would be great. Just PM me with the times and what you need. I'll get you wood, if you need it tell me what what you need, size, type, grain orientation, green/dry

Thanks

Rob

New User
Rob
I can't commit to a time, but I do plan on showing up. If I do, I'll be happy to work the table.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I have to check my social calender (read: LOML's honey-do list etc) to see if I'm available. But, in the meantime: I don't know anything about how the stuff works, but is there possibility that an internet connection (wireless or whatever) would be available to demonstrate the site? It would be nice to show newcomers the site and all that it has to offer.

George

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'd be happy to do the WorkSharp demo again. Could be expanded to also include a scary sharp demo (always a good incentive for people to buy the motorized solution!), or sharpen hand scrapers, or both.

One thing that would be really cool to see would be a bandsaw box, but I don't know how realistic that is, given the limited amount of time available.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I can be there almost any time needed. earlier would be better. let me know. prior comitments kept me from the last hoedown so count me in. pm me with a time frame

fred

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
No LOML, no HDL.....I'll be there at 7:30 to help out,and I'll be happy to sit at the table until about 12:30.

My folks are coming up to see the stuff. Dad can't figure out where everything is gonna go. And he's been to Klingspor's lot's of times.

So I'll bring my entry - check it in, and then be there to help out until 12:30.

Don Sorensen

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I have to check my social calender (read: LOML's honey-do list etc) to see if I'm available. But, in the meantime: I don't know anything about how the stuff works, but is there possibility that an internet connection (wireless or whatever) would be available to demonstrate the site? It would be nice to show newcomers the site and all that it has to offer.

George
George. They don't have an internet connection that we can use:no:But I'll try to work out another way.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'd be happy to do the WorkSharp demo again. Could be expanded to also include a scary sharp demo (always a good incentive for people to buy the motorized solution!), or sharpen hand scrapers, or both.

One thing that would be really cool to see would be a bandsaw box, but I don't know how realistic that is, given the limited amount of time available.
Great, the worksharp demo!:thumbs_up What time and how long?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great, the worksharp demo!:thumbs_up What time and how long?
Well, I don't have much of a life, so you can put me down for the entire morning. I might even stay until 1:30 or so if the atmosphere is as good as it was last time :eusa_danc:eusa_danc I'm low on abrasives though, but I'm sure Paul has some in stock.

NCWWers - please bring your dull chisels. Give me your blunt, your nicked, your poor huddled plane blades.(But nothing wider than 3" please, or something that requires extensive grinding first :eusa_naug). Lathe tools (well, anything with a rounded edge) you aren't particularly attached to are also welcome. Those will be good for me to practice on :eusa_whis

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Steve, I have already committed to Fred Ford to help with the check-out process from 4-6:00 on Saturday on behalf of NCWw'er. I think that my wife will allow me more time to play so I have added myself to the list before my "closing" shift.
Dave:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Steve:

I need the following wood:

1 piece of Maple 6/4 thick 10" x 16"

2 pieces of Maple 1/2" thick 10" x 16"

3 pieces of contrasting darker wood (padauk) 1/4" x 10" x 16"

I'll supply the MDF templates and tools. access to a bandsaw (as will a router table) will be needed.

If necessary I can bring the routed bowl back to my shop to perform the last steps and return with the completed project. (except for sanding)

Doug

cskipper

Cathy
Steve, I am hoping that you can get enough folks who live in that area to man the desk and do demos. If you can't, please let me know. I know that Paul has been extremely supportive of our group. I'm not sure I can afford the gas - but would try rather than not having a good "showing" by NCWW.

I had thought that I had read that you had to be present to make entries into the competition. Then I re-read that thread and saw where you had offered to take mine and bring them back. If you will pm me your snail mail address, I will get a couple of things mailed to you.

I hope a lot of support is generated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS