Hello, happy to find this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John.P.Burns

New User
John
Hello,

My name is John, and thanks to the Army, I live in Fayetteville, NC. I have been woodworking for about a year. I started when my wife sold our coffee table on Craigslist and "commissioned" me to build a new table. I came up with a design and built it one sunday afternoon. It turned out great and made me realize that I really enjoyed building things. I have no formal training in woodworking other than a semester of shop class in high school, so I am hoping to pick up some ideas, skills, and advice from others who have far more experience than I. I would like to learn to build smaller sized projects like a humidor, jewlery box, or similar projects. However, I know my wife will want some bookshelves and a desk sooner or later, so I would like to work on some larger projects as well. I look forward to all your advice and expertise. Thanks.

John Burns

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome, and thanks for your service to this great country, Happy woodworking.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
John: I want to echo the thanks for serving this country.

On a less serious note though, I can't believe that two people have welcomed you and that no ones has used the p word yet: PHOTOS.

You see, you can say that you made a coffee table - and we might believe you :gar-Bi.
If you show us a picture, we will not only believe you but congratulate you on a project well done. If you want hints or ideas, or critiques we can offer those too. But pictures are the key.

Sure it's fun to make stuff, but after taking pictures and posting 'em, the real fun begins. Enjoy the feedback. It's great for your wife to like your commissioned custom woodworking projects, but you'll know "real success" when we all get to say "Great job!":icon_cheers

All kidding aside, take a few shots of your coffee table, and let us see it. I'm SURE it's better than my first 10 WW projects.

Henry

John.P.Burns

New User
John

IMG_4284.JPG

View image in gallery
Your wish is my command... obviously the granite top covered up alot of my inexperience. 45 lbs extra on top conviniently makes everything square in the end.:icon_cheers

John

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome John! Glad you found us and hope you're able to spend some time with us.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
John,

Good looking table. The granite top really sets it off. This project is much better than many of my first projects. You are discovering that the people on this forum are very friendly and knowledgeable. Don't be afriad to ask, because someone on here has probably done it before. I look forward to seeing some of your posts in the future.

Steve

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, John!!!

Great looking table. Betcha your LOYL will be requesting matching end table in the near future.:wsmile:

Have fun, post often and stay safe around them power tools.

Oh ya. Thanks for your service.

Take care,

Wayne

M

McRabbet

Welcome to our sawdust pile, John -- glad you've found us! And thanks for your service to our country. Your first project is excellent -- keep it up!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Nicely done - finish info?

Yes John, nicely done, and good picture too. Clean lines and solid.

What kind of finish did you use? Paint or dye - I can't quite tell from the pic.

Henry

John.P.Burns

New User
John
Henry,

It is primed and painted. After about a year it looks like I should have thrown a second coat on. Now the edges have a distressed look. :wsmile:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome John. Your coffee table turned out really nice, especially for a first project. And putting the granite top on a wood base was a cool idea.

I began my woodworking obsession 41 years ago when I was in the service, newly married, and flat broke. :rotflm: As most of the others have said, I really appreciate you serving our country and all you do to keep the rest of us safe and free. :notworthy:

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS