Hello from Windsor (VA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Hello guys and gals,

My name is Chris Peters and I live in Windsor, VA - about 30 miles due north of Gatesville for those of you not familiar. I'm 47, wife, 2 kids (teenage boys), 2 dogs (mutts) and a full time gig to pay the bills.

Anyway, I do a little bit of everything from building the building that houses my shop to furniture, christmas present type projects, turning, etc. etc. My Grandfather was a pattern maker in the days before CAD design and CNC machining and I learned most of what I know from him and my uncles (his sons). My prized tool possession is his set of "shrink scales" - steel rules that are graduated to accommodate the shrinkage of a casting as it cools.

My current project is a chess table for my son made from Virginia Red Oak brought down in Hurricane Isabel. I milled the lumber from the tree myself, cured it in the shop for 3+ years and am now working it.

Nice to join the group and hope I can find the time to be in regular attendance.

C.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Welcome Chris. We look forward to seeing photos of the chess table as it progresses. You ought to check out the new member chat this Thursday at 7:30 PM.

bobby g

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Thanks Bobby! Looking forward to being in the group. Here is a picture from about a week ago - it's further along now - working on the finishing. There's more in the gallery. The chess board itself is mahogany and poplar with a 1/4" cherry skirt around the edge.

20100928_031.jpg

View image in gallery

Cheers,
Chris

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Chris. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm glad that you could join us. That's a beautiful chess table. I can't wait to see it all finished. :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Chris!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Looking forward to seeing more photo's of the chessboard as it progresses.

Post often and by all means stay safe around those power tools.

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome Chris. Hope you enjoy the site as much as I do. I like the chess board. We could see a little of your shop in the pic, but not nearly enough. In addition to projects, we love pics of shops, tools, and most anything else woodworking related you care to post. :eusa_danc

Bill

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Chris,

Welcome to the site! I too come from the pattern making world - Or atleast, that's how I got my introduction to precision woodworking.

Great to see you here on the site!

Best,
Gregory

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Thanks everyone!

I'm working on the finish on the Chess Table now - so stay tuned for more pics!

Bill - I put a few more pictures up in the gallery - those that I had here at work! - and mostly of the 08 time frame when I was still setting up and moving equipment. The shop is still in a state of disarray - I try to do a little organizing and a little practical WW - so forgive the mess. I will update the album soon with more recent pics.

Thanks again everyone for the warn welcome!

C.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome to our little corner of the www world. You will find so many great friends here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS