Hello from Holly Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Funny I can't keep a beat to anything but Irish music, wife made fun of me horribly for it last year when we went to Dublin.
LOLOLOL I am prrrretttttty sure that's why I got hooked on this bodhran. It looks hard to play.... if you watch someone beating it, you think What The... ??? But it's actually pretty easy to pick it up with some readily available Internet instruction.

If anyone's interested, here's how the bodhran is played in a traditional fashion:
Caroline Corr Solo

...and here is one of the masters John Joe Kelly in a more fun, light-hearted solo.

(these also show the two primary strumming styles)

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I have been meaning to try the "new" [...] sushi place just south of my neighborhood [...] just about in sight of the Holly Springs sign on Kildaire.

Where is it? Just South of Ten Ten? I haven't been that way in a while. Is it in this shopping center (that I didn't even know existed!!)?

I feel like it is a confession to admit that most of the sushi I have eaten recently has come from across the parking lot at the HT
hehe... I admit to having eaten it for some 4-5 years. Maybe around 2000-2005. Cheap, good value, and usually "good enough." There are sooooo many sushi restaurants now around here, I guess I just don't bother any more. The one thing I never liked about it was the rice seemed too firm after being refrigerated. I used to shop all the time at that HT on Kildaire and Tryon... I stopped getting it there though, after I got a big bone in a piece of salmon. Yikes. Almost tore my mouth up.

no regrets afterward if you know what I mean...
LOL! I do!! Funny, but that's only happened a few times for me. Ironically, the very first time I ate sushi! (Yamazushi in Durham). It was REALLY good sushi though. I'm pretty sure it was the fact that my brother and I kept sampling almost everything they made. We knew a waitress there, and she had the chef make a piece here... and piece there... I'm pretty sure the "regrets" were due to the multiple orders of sake. Ugh. (I don't like sake to this day).

scompton

New User
Scott
The sushi place on Kildaire near Harris Teeter sounds like Genki sushi at the intersection of Ten-Ten, right across the street from my apartment. Little late, but welcome to the forums! I also look forward to checking out some of the classes at TechShopRDU.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
The sushi place on Kildaire near Harris Teeter sounds like Genki sushi at the intersection of Ten-Ten, right across the street from my apartment. Little late, but welcome to the forums! I also look forward to checking out some of the classes at TechShopRDU.

That is the one I was referring to. I live in the neighborhood that runs between Kildaire and 1010 behind the Walgreen's. So, have you tried Genki?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the club.

I have cobbled together a few musical wood works and my daughter makes sushi. She's in Japan now working with children, learning to make traditional Japanese clothing and learning to make all kinds of great Japanese foods.

Her older sister plays wire strung Celtic harp, Bodhrán, recorders and is learning to play the church style pipe organ.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
The best sushi is at "Waraji's"

I started eating sushi in 1960, in Tachikawa
Had to marry a Japanese so I could get sushi all the time:gar-La;

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
The best sushi is at "Waraji's"

Well, Waraji was the restaurant I decided to not name in my above post. I had the worst sushi I have ever had. Clearly, they decided that the prior night's tub o' spicy tuna chunks was ok to use the following day's lunch... brown tuna and stunk. I know this place continues to get rave reviews for dinner. I have to assume they reserve their poor standards for their lunch crowd. I used to go there all the time when they first opened... worked around the corner. Very good and innovative sushi. Sorry to say, but I will never go back. There are too many good and consistent places closer to where I live and work now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS