Hello from Holly Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I joined about 6 mos ago, looked up some information on local wood suppliers, then got tied up with several projects and haven't been back since. I finally got some time to come back and start reading, reading, reading.

My most recent woodworking projects involve making celtic drums (or "bodhrán"). I use a steam-bending process and laminate three 1/8" thick sheets of ash. I also turn the beaters called "tippers" (or gaelic: cipín). Here is a photo showing what this is all about.... I also sew the carrying cases.

SushinutDrums.jpg

I've been blogging my construction technique on bodojo.com... unfortunately, you need to sign in to actually view the blog, but if anyone is interested, it's at: http://www.bodojo.com/social/my-blog/on-making-a-silk-drum-from-a-goats-ear-part-1.html

I've also recently become involved with TechShopRDU (www.techshoprdu.com) (formerly TechShop Durham... just moved to a location near RDU airport). I know some members here are also active with TechShop. They offer some great opportunities to use some serious tools and equipment, including a fairly well-stocked woodworking shop, machine/metal shop, a Shopbot CNC router and laser cutter/engraver (among many other tools). More projects await.. possibly a kayak build with my son.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Oh, and I'm a proud owner of a 1957 ShopSmith that was bought new by my dad. Thanks, Dad, for teaching me about woodworking some 30-something years ago!!!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Hey, I am just up the road where Holly Springs confronts Cary and Apex near 1010 and Kildaire. I also like to make a few oddball instruments and have been known to scarf a little sushi :). Is that shop the one suggested in an earlier thread about brand making?

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Mike,

Welcome to our little sawdust pile. Glad you joined us. Woodworking is terrific, and all the more so when you get to work with one of kids. Good luck with that Kayak. I can't wait to see some photos of it.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Mike!

Great looking drums there.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I have always been fascinated with the art of steam bending. Don't get a chance to see many projects using these techniques. (except the Roy Underhill shows sometimes on Sat. afternoons)

Plenty of great folks here at the site willing to share plenty of their talent and expertise.

Post often and continue to share the great pictures of your projects.

Wayne

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Is that shop the one suggested in an earlier thread about brand making?
Hey, Andy... having just returned to the forums, I'm not up on recent threads. I searched and found this one, but I don't see any reference to making them at a particular shop:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f19/handcrafted-stamps-30177

That being said, TechShop does have casting equipment, as well as at least one metal CNC mill.

What kind of oddball instruments do you make? Pics?

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Welcome to the site, Mike!

Great looking drums there.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I have always been fascinated with the art of steam bending. Don't get a chance to see many projects using these techniques. (except the Roy Underhill shows sometimes on Sat. afternoons)

Thanks, Wayne, for the kind words (and everyone else for the welcome). Funny, but I consider my version of steam bending as less art and more "rig it and hope it works." :wink_smil

Here are some pics of my "dumpster diving steam box" (PVC pipe, some scrap metal conduit, a $6 Walmart teapot, and $18 Walmart hot plate... oh.. and a plastic funnel I had lying around and a bunch of tape). :widea:
1_steam.jpg

2_steam.jpg

3_steam.jpg

4_steam.jpg

5_steam.jpg

CarvedTones

Andy
Hey, Andy... having just returned to the forums, I'm not up on recent threads. I searched and found this one, but I don't see any reference to making them at a particular shop:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f19/handcrafted-stamps-30177

That being said, TechShop does have casting equipment, as well as at least one metal CNC mill.

What kind of oddball instruments do you make? Pics?

This is your welcome thread, but since you ask...

I have done string instruments and I am working on woodwinds now.

Here are a few oddball string instruments:

fiddle-in-progress.jpg

PICT0160.jpg

mandocomplete.jpg

Yeah, I had to do some of that fun bendin' stuff...

As far as woodwinds go, I am pretty much in learning and stockpiling stages right now. I have made a few test whistles that are camera shy (for good reason) and have been turning a lot of green blanks to set aside.

lathe-drill.JPG

I also want to do some percussion stuff; a marimba and/or wood xylophones.

I go off on tangents and turn unrelated artsy objects for a while, or carve or...

I don't really have a strong focus right now, tthough my plan is to semi-retire one day turning out woodcrafts of one sort or another, probably with some instruments in the mix.

Oh yeah, I also scroll and that has even ended up mixed in with the other interests from time to time...

butterfly-strum.jpg

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
This is your welcome thread, but since you ask...
Yep... my thread... I can do what I want. Yes? :D

I've thought about trying stringed instruments, but it looks daunting. Your instruments would fit in well with the celtic music sessions I've joined downtown Raleigh at Tir Na Nog... particularly the fiddle and mandolin. Beautiful. I've actually become interested in several other lutes that are commonly associated with celtic music-- the mandocello and the Irish bouzouki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandocello
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_bouzouki

CarvedTones

Andy
I know those instruments as well. I have toyed with Irish a little. I do play a store bought mandolin also; not particularly well, but when it consumes me for a while I get reasonably okay with some practice.

I tried mandocello for a while, but I was playing a rather bizarre one I cobbloed together (and eventually sold). It was a "classical mandocello" that I made from an old classical guitar:

mandocello-smallfile.jpg

String instruments are not all that hard to make, but they are hard to make well. I haven't made one yet that compares favorably to anything high end, but all of them have played as good as an entry level plain jane model. Whistles have been harder; some have ended up in the fire...

M

McRabbet

Welcome to our virtual chip pile, Mike -- pretty instruments you've made. We look forward to your involvement in the forums.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer, Mike!
Look forward to your input and progress on music makers :icon_thum

Roger

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Hello an wecome,sorry,but I don't do the sushi thing :no: I sure do admire you folks that make those musical instruments though :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

NCTurner

New User
Gary
Man I am a feeling a Sushi nite coming on....oh yeah!! Welcome to the forums! Funny I can't keep a beat to anything but Irish music, wife made fun of me horribly for it last year when we went to Dublin.

CarvedTones

Andy
I have been meaning to try the "new" (time flies; it has probably been there a year :) ) sushi place just south of my neighborhood, relevant to this thread because it is just about in sight of the Holly Springs sign on Kildaire. I feel like it is a confession to admit that most of the sushi I have eaten recently has come from across the parking lot at the HT in the same shopping center. Yup, the little plastic containers with the cheesy fake grass and too little ginger and wasabi. But I have been pleased with it; tasty stuff and no regrets afterward if you know what I mean...

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Welcome Mike...any good sushi restaurants recommendations. I love it too

Dave:)
Hey, Dave. I have to say, it is amazing how popular sushi has become here over the last 10 yrs. I've lived in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill areas since 1978. My first taste of sushi was at one of maybe only 4-5 sushi restaurants in this area at Yamazushi in Woodcroft Shopping Center/Durham in abt 1989 (Kanki had 2 of the others). I started making sushi at home in 1991, when I moved to Orlando. After 6 or so years, we moved back up to the area, and I was pleased to see an additional 5-6 sushi restaurants sprout up. About that time, I got hooked on Little Tokyo (Cary) for many years.

Now, there are so many sushi restaurants in the area, I don't go too far out of my way just to go to "the best." The ones I go to know are those most convenient ALONG WITH good quality.

I live in Holly Springs and travel frequently to much of east/south Cary. I work in RTP. Soo.... here's where I go:

#1-- Wasabi (Macgregor Village, Cary)... little pricey, compared to almost every other restaurant though. Don't order Thai or any kitchen/grill food other than appetizers, especially on a busy weekend. Can take forever to get the food. They have some problem with managing mixed orders (sushi/kitchen). I absolutely love Pok (sp?) and her husband though. Great hosts/owners.

#2-- Shiki Sushi (NC54, Durham)... near RTP. That's the place I go, when I want exceptional sushi. There are several other, more convenient places with good sushi though.

#3-- Sushi-Thai (Kildaire Farm Rd, Cary).. Pok and hubby came from here. Very good sushi. Consistent. Never EVER had a bad meal. Good price. If you're familiar with a popular local roll "Mary's Roll," I'm pretty sure it started here. California Roll with heaping mound of spicy tuna chunks piled on top. Easily two-rolls worth of food for about $11... (used to be $8, but I think they figured it out) ;) This roll has slowly migrated to most other restaurants in the area. I have not had a chance to go to Sushi-Thai on Lake Boone. An employee of mine goes there all the time for their $1 specials. Great deal.

There's a relatively new sushi place right across the street from my neighborhood. I was excited about it, but didn't have high expectations (it's Holly Springs... I've lived here long enough to not expect great cuisine)... It's been totally hit-or-miss however.

I have a few places that I totally avoid now.... I should probably refrain from naming names, but if you want to know my opinion on a place shoot me a PM. There are many places in the area I just have never tried. One note... I recently re-visited one of the PREMIER, highest rated, most revered places in Raleigh... up in the Pleasant Valley area. It used to be on my Top 3 list, but I hadn't been up that way in at LEAST 6-7 years. I had THE WORST sushi I've ever had there for lunch. It was a Mary's Roll, and I can only assume they used the spicy tuna they had prepared the night before (or before that!) and were too cheap to throw it out. Awful experience. It continues to get high marks tho, so maybe they do it right for dinner.

If you have any favorites, let me know. I like when people pass along one I didn't know about. :thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS