Hello All

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstrbd488

New User
Chris
My name is Chris and I live in Charlotte NC. I am a project inspector for a civil engeering company based out of Columbia SC. I am really new to wood working and for the most part like to spin square wood really fast and make it round. I have to admitt that there is deffently a learning curve to it but I enjoy messing up almost as much as getting something right other than the fact that when I mess up I just lost one of my much needed pieces of wood. I have been lurking on here for a while posting a little something here and there, and I have really enjoyed learning from what I have read from you guys.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Chris, I am glad you finally came out of the shadows. Lurking can be fun, but jumping in with both feet is much more fun. I too am a big fan of the "Darkside" and one of the reasons is the wood is very often free. So you don't have to worry about messing up a piece, at least financially, your pride will still sting a little. I look forward to your continued input in the forums and hopefully seeing some pictures of your work...successful or not (there is always a learning experience in a mistake)

Dave:)

cptully

New User
Chris
Chris,

Welcome to the dust pile! Goofs can be useful.... I've built more than one project from things others discarded.

Chris

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Re: Hello All jhreed

My very dear grandfather had an old rockwell lathe. He was a very wise man and he told me, taking wood (yard droppings or whatever he could find) and turning it into shavings was the most therapeutic endeavor he had ever found.
James

i am beginning ( at a late age) to make sawdust and shavings. I wish i had learned this lesson earlier.

Who needs a psychiatrist?

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the NCWW. I hope you decide to post pictures of your turnings, success or failure, because then we can all learn something from the posts that others contribute. It always seems that people are trying to give wood away in that part of the state, so you should be able to get some free turning material.

Bob

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the group Chris. It's great to have you join in and tell us what you're working on. I can't wait to see some of your work. :icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Chris. Making saw dust can relax you or make you mad as all heck but nothing beats the feeling of making it yourself. At the end of the day it is all fun.

bwat

New User
Bill
Welcome Chris! Always glad to see more WW in this part of the state. Get involved here and you'll learn a lot, [STRIKE]most[/STRIKE] some of it worthwhile:icon_thum

Glennbear

Glenn
"Project inspector for a civil engineering firm". Sounds like a good career for someone to pick up scraps at job sites for turning wood. :wink_smil Welcome to our dust pile. :wsmile:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Chris. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I love turning square thingys round too. :icon_thum Looking forward to your input and seeing some of your work. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Chris. Great to have you here. I look forward to hearing more from you.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Come on in, Chris. Most of us here have "engineered" something for other than its intended purpose, though I ma unser how many were civil in the process. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS