Hand Tool Sharpening: What method do you use and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey Folks,

I'm slowly but surely building a pretty well equiped shop, picking up tools here and there as I need them, and I have recently picked up a pretty good collection of hand planes and chisels that I now need to keep sharp. I've done some research of the various means and methods, but I'd be interested to know what you folks are using and why...

Let me start out by saying that I currently have NOTHING with which to sharpen my woodworking blades, (other than a small wet stone I use on my pocket knife), so my options are pretty wide open. I'm leaning toward the Worksharp 3K as it seems to get good reviews, is quick, and is seemingly idiot-proof. That being said, I kind of like the old-school approach of using a good set of sharpening stones as well, but there would obviously be a decent learing curve to becoming efficient at that approach.

I know there are a ton of other methods as well, Scary sharp, slow-speed grinder w/ a Wolverine type jig, (or a really good eye), the Tormek, (more $$$ than I want to spend), etc. So I put it to you, How do you sharpen your hand tools?

Thanks guys.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Mostly water stones and a leather strop with a honing compound.

I dream of natural Japanese water stones, but just in now way feel worthy of such rare items.

You didn't mention, but might consider, a belt sander. It is a very versatile option.

Happy shopping!

Jim

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I use a few different things depending on the tool. I have a Worksharp 2000, which will do a lot of chisels and plane blades but not really wide or odd angles. You can do just about any angle on top with practice, but it has a jig for a fixed "standard" angle underneath that works for my #4, jack and block as well as a lot of my chisels. I also use a Veritas honing guide on diamond stones and sand paper for precise initial grinding of bevels by hand. It takes longer, but I get them right and don't overheat the tools. Once the bevel is established, keeping the angle free hand on the WorkSharp is easy and I use it to hne to mirror surface. I have a small honing cone that I use on pretty much all edges. I have The see through wheel on the WorkSharp for sharpening gouges (carving or turning). You mark the bevel with a sharpie and then look through the wheel and you can make sure you are keeping the angle right as you twist it by watching it take the sharpie mark off. I have shaped strops for the inside of gouges.

No matter which way you go, I think the honing cone is really important. If you hone your blades often, you will rarely need to do heavy duty shaping of the bevel and sharpening.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
If I want to put a very sharp edge on one or two tools I will always use a DMT diamond plate and a fine Arkansas oil stone followed by a leather strop and compound and I will be done in a matter of minutes. phil

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I use water stones, and a diamond plate. I think that for most applications the Worksharp is about the easiest and most economical way to go. If I didn't already have my other sharpening methods I would get one.

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Worksharp 3000 with the extra wide blada attachment for my widest plane irons -- it is an easy tool to master and does a superb job. I've tried the other methods -- stones and a roller fixture and the scary sharp method with wet/dry paper. Using stones requires keeping them flattenend and clean and I found it difficult to get bevels square to the sides of either plane irons or chisels; the scary sharp method is better, but still has the same challenge. The WS 3K is like falling off a log -- once you do it, it is easy to repeat. Highly recommended.

A footnote -- if you have curved gouges or want to put a 25* bevel on your lawnmower blade, then other options might be better.

CarvedTones

Andy
Worksharp 3000
A footnote -- if you have curved gouges or want to put a 25* bevel on your lawnmower blade, then other options might be better.

Have you got the see through disk? It makes gouges pretty easy with the sharpie method, though the bevel has to be established.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use a variety of tools but most often I go to the DMT full surface diamond plates. I don't like the plastic ones with holes in them.

I also have the great fortune to have gotten a great deal on a Wilton 2 x 72 belt grinder. It's the bomb for shaping steel. :new_blowi

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
For the initial grind on plane cutters or chisels from the wild, I generally use a disc sander with jigs I have made. I keep a container of water handy to quench often to prevent overheating and affecting the tempering. Lately I have been also been using my new variable speed grinder some. I exclusively use sandpaper to do all of my honing. I have a full set of water stones and they're too much trouble- they're messy, get full of sawdust and debris, will freeze in the winter, not to mention one trip to the concrete floor any they're history- not funny for an $80 stone. Sandpaper is cheap, durable and easy. For the initial hone, I may use a honing guide just to get the edge off to a good start. After that I just freehand. I have a piece of 1/2" plate glass when I want to do really good sandpaper sharpening, otherwise I generally just throw the sandpaper on the jointer bed or bandsaw for quick sharpenings while I'm working. For really good sharpening, I will generally go up through 2500 grit on the sandpaper then do final polishing on thin dense cardboard like shirt box or cigarette carton; I start on the back (coarse) of the cardboard and finish with the slick front side of the cardboard. I stopped using leather because I think even the hardest leather is soft enough to flex around the cutting edge and actually dull it when you get way down into the finer grits. Taking care of and protecting the edges of your edged tools and honing them when they start to get dull will minimize the need for serious honing or grinding. Sometimes you have to regrind an edge and start over when you gets chips or chinkers. Sharpening and razor sharp tools are an essential basic element in good woodworking and I tend to do what is the easiest and quickest.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
For general sharpening I use the Worksharp 3000, dull chisels and plane blades cower at the site of it :mrgreen:. Try one before making any decisions because it sharpend extremely well and is faster than anything else. I also use some stones, a high speed grinder and belt sander for some other things.

Good Luck.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
For the initial grind on plane cutters or chisels from the wild, I generally use a disc sander with jigs I have made. I keep a container of water handy to quench often to prevent overheating and affecting the tempering. Lately I have been also been using my new variable speed grinder some. I exclusively use sandpaper to do all of my honing. I have a full set of water stones and they're too much trouble- they're messy, get full of sawdust and debris, will freeze in the winter, not to mention one trip to the concrete floor any they're history- not funny for an $80 stone. Sandpaper is cheap, durable and easy. For the initial hone, I may use a honing guide just to get the edge off to a good start. After that I just freehand. I have a piece of 1/2" plate glass when I want to do really good sandpaper sharpening, otherwise I generally just throw the sandpaper on the jointer bed or bandsaw for quick sharpenings while I'm working. For really good sharpening, I will generally go up through 2500 grit on the sandpaper then do final polishing on thin dense cardboard like shirt box or cigarette carton; I start on the back (coarse) of the cardboard and finish with the slick front side of the cardboard. I stopped using leather because I think even the hardest leather is soft enough to flex around the cutting edge and actually dull it when you get way down into the finer grits. Taking care of and protecting the edges of your edged tools and honing them when they start to get dull will minimize the need for serious honing or grinding. Sometimes you have to regrind an edge and start over when you gets chips or chinkers. Sharpening and razor sharp tools are an essential basic element in good woodworking and I tend to do what is the easiest and quickest.

+1. 99% of my sharpening is with a belt or disc sander. If I want to get the tool sharper than that, I'll hone it using a sheet of glass with fine grit sandpaper on it.

This may not be the "best" method, but for me it is fast and effective.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
After trying a variety of methods over the years, I settled on a Worksharp 3000...because it's quick and easy.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Presently I use a belt sander & the Woodcraft honing wheel. Latest edition of Shop Notes has an article about building a sharpening jig powered by your DP using self adhesive sanding pads. Looks like a worthwhile tool for initial sharpening & then hone out with the wheel or a granite block & fine grit wet or dry.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
If I had to start all over again I'd do this.

Start with the WorkSharp 3000 because it has a short learning curve and will serve for most of your sharpening needs.

When you get comfortable with the WorkSharp buy a set of Norton water stones and a honing guide. Should run about $130 and has a good DVD on how to use the stones. This will allow you to fine tune your edges that you can't do on the WorkSharp like honing plane irons with a camber.

Rick Doby

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
Just my two cents on this issue. But I think that there is too much confidence given to the ability of power tools to sharpen a blade. It has been my experience that the same amount, and possibly even more, attention to detail and technique is needed when using any of the power methods of sharpening. They do not necessarily make the process easier or more precise and accurate. In general, I think that starting out with a power tool method of sharpening keeps you one step separated from truly understanding what is needed to get a sharp edge. The literature sings a siren song about how simple the machine is to use. But I find that most of them require a lot of set up time and fiddling, and you always need to deal with the danger of burning your edge. Plus these tools are expensive and almost always have or need optional jigs to do what you want.

A diamond stone and two waterstones (and with a simple honing jig) will give you a tremendous edge from "scratch" in just minutes. There are no real shortcuts to a superlative edge.

Having said all of this, I do have a WorkSharp 3000 which I love and which does an excellent job. However, I use it to sharpen 30 chisels at a time, not one. And this is because the best way to use the machine is to have a glass plate for every grit (same on both sides) so that you can work the bevel and the back together. This entails extra expense, as you can imagine, but is very efficient when you are ganging up tools to be sharpened. Even so, I use a slow speed grinder to shape the bevels initially because the sandpaper, (even at 80 grit) will not work down the bevel on a heavy wide chisel very fast. You can also burn a blade on the Worksharp as well if you are not careful. I should also say that when you are going a lot of grinding on the WorkSharp there is a fire hazard from the filings catching on fire on the underside of the plate.

Consider the simple approach first, become proficient in feeling the sharpness of your edge develop, then decide if you need the power tool approach.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I totally agree, also consider the possibility of working without power. If you depend on a machine to sharpen your tools you are dead in the water when the lights go out.

dkeller_nc

New User
David
Heath - As you may have noticed, there are almost as many sharpening methods as there are woodworkers. So I'm going step back from exactly what you should/shouldn't get for a minute and ask a few questions. I'll also note that there is no such thing as an idiot proof sharpening system - the idiots are way too skilled.:gar-Bi

The first, and highly important question, is "what do you want to sharpen?". If the answer is high-speed steel lathe tools, that's going to be a very different answer than if you want to sharpen traditional, european-style carving tools. Woodworking flat chisels and plane blades are yet another answer. For example, the scary-sharp sandpaper method is usable, but difficult, with traditional carving tools (the reason is that the sandpaper tears too easily). For lathe tools, waterstones would be the absolute pits - it would take forever.

And for flat chisels and plane blades, you can certainly use a jig and stones (oil or water), or sandpaper. However, this is the best choice only if you don't really care how long it takes you to do it. This answer is the same for the flat-grinding systems like the Worksharp (though far faster than doing it by hand). The reason is that all of these methods produce a flat bevel, which is not ideal on this type of tool. Far more efficient is a hollow-grind followed by honing on a very fine grit stone (the intermediate grits are not necessary and are actually harmful - more strokes means more chance of rounding a bevel).

The reason that a hollow grind is so efficient is that blade maintenance removes far, far less metal than a flat bevel system (only a micro-fine edge on the front, cutting edge, and the very back of the bevel is honed). It is also self-jigging in that the front and back of the grind touch the honing stone, providing a positive registration surface. In contrast, the flat-bevel method means that you must either a) perfectly duplicate the previous bevel angle to remove metal all the way up to the edge (which is required to get a sharp tool), or you must slightly increase the angle to make sure the front edge gets contacted. That garantees that the bevel will become more and more steep over several sharpening sessions, leading to the eventual situation that a plane will not cut because there's insufficient clearance angle, or a chisel will pare poorly and take a lot of force (higher cutting angle = more required cutting force).

To put together a hollow-grind system, you must have a wheel grinder (whether dry, wet, or hand-cranked) and a fine honing stone (or very fine, and somewhat expensive, sub-micron ceramic paper). In my particular case, I use a Tormek and an 8000 grit Japanese waterstone. You can, however, do just as well with a dry grinder (which is much, much less expensive), though you will have to train yourself to hollow-grind without excessively heating the blade and ruining the temper.

However, and this is the reason I offered the caveat of "what do you want to sharpen" at the first of the post, a hollow-grind system is very much not desirable for carving tools. In fact, a hollow grind on a traditional gouge will make it dang near unusable because unlike a plane blade or a flat chisel, the bevel itself is a jigging surface, and the hollow grind will make it "dive" in the wood.

Similarly, for lathe tools a water grinder and a honing stone would be unbelievably laborious - high speed steel in the tool is very, very hard and would take forever on a water-cooled grinder. This is why most experienced turners use a machine with both a dry grinding wheel and a grinding belt - the wheel for rough grinding, and the belt for finer grinding and removing the hollow bevel.

And, while I personally think powered sharpening of carving tools is a quick way to remove way too much metal, this particular area is where tools like the Worksharp and the Jool Tool shine - because they leave a flat bevel.

Finally, I should point out that sharpening is not the same as maintaining an edge tool. Hands down, the best method for maintaining any edge tool is a leather strop charged with honing compound, used manually. By eschewing power honers, you remove the biggest cause of having to take the tool back to the grinder - rounding the bevel. And with a strop, you can have a medium-dull plane blade that has otherwise been correctly ground and honed back to unbelievably sharp in 4 strokes - there is nothing faster, and there never will be.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Wow,

Thanks to all who posted, especially Bill, Mike, & David. You guys definately opened my eyes on the subject, and while at this point, I am mainly concerned in keeping a good edge on my planes and bench chisels, I think I'll go w/ the grinder/ waterstone/ leather route. I have a grinder, although it is not slow speed, so I realize I will have to read up on how to minimize overheating the steel, but that seems like the logical next step in building up my resume of basic woodworking skills. Seems like one of those, "you can't run before you walk" kind of things...

Thanks again for all of the feedback folks. Best....Site....Ever.....

CarvedTones

Andy
Speaking from experience, trying to use a high speed grinder with a stone that isn't as wide as the blade can be a recipe for disaster. Many people pull that trick off with jigs and care; I ended up with an uneven edge of overheated steel. So I am not saying you can't do it, just warning you that it isn't simple. David showed me the edges of his plane blades and gave me the same explanation he gave you. He is right; it would be easier to hone the edge if it is hollow ground. But I don't have what I consider the right setup for getting a consistently good hollow grind. So I am choosing the extra effort involved in flat grinding because I can do that right over the convenience of a hollow grind because I haven't been able to consistently do that right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS