Gauging interest - American Sycamore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
that looks to have some super grain..sticker and keep in the dry..hope for the best :)

J

jeff...

Last of the turning slabs with no pith, it's 5 1/2 x 11 - 9' There is a rotted section near the middle that runs a few inches deep , other than that it's pretty clean all things consdering.

Thanks

Attachments

• Nov06$17.JPG
    Nov06$17.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Nov06$18.JPG
    Nov06$18.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Nov06$19.JPG
    Nov06$19.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Nov06$20.JPG
    Nov06$20.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 156
J

jeff...

Here's 172 BF of 8/4 black walnut (it's the brown looking lumber in the middle). Theres a few 9" wide boards in there and one 5" Mostly 8/4 x 6 - 9' - I'll be selling this too. If your interested please PM me, we can settle in on a price and I can supply a complete dimentions list.

Please note this lumber is GREEN, fresh off the log green. Ends have been trimmed and coated with ancorseal, to help prevent end grain checking.

Thanks

Attachments

• Nov06$21.JPG
    Nov06$21.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Nov06$22.JPG
    Nov06$22.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 179

woodguy1975

New User
John
John, how thick are inlay pieces? Was wondering about making up some 1/4 thick strips for inlay.

1/4" or 1/8" is plenty for inlay work. Typically I use 1/8" material and set them in 3/32" deep.

It would be awsome veneer stock. I wish it would stay flat, I'd love to make a chair out of that stuff. :lol:

woodguy1975

New User
John
Looks like some great walnut too. :) Did you saw that at 9/4"? I think you did my elm. I love knowing I could get 2" finished dimension out of that stock.

J

jeff...

The walnut should dry and plan walnut to 8/4. I try and float around 9/4, because it sure is nice to work with full 2 inch thick boards once it's dry and surfaced. I set the mill scale to give me an extra quarter inch. So really 4/4 is cut at 5/4 +1/8, 5/4 at 6/4+1/8, 8/4 at 9/4+1/8, etc... The wood mizer quarter scale gives you an extra 1/8 anyways.

When I was taking logs to sawyers before I got my mill, I would tell them 4/4 and that's what I got was 4/4, when my lumber dried and I planed it, I was lucky to get 3/4 when I really wanted 4/4. Some boards didn't make it to 3/4, I think they call that cull. So I had to tell them 5/4, then I could get 3/4. If I wanted 4/4 finished lumber I would have to tell them 6/4 and do a lot of planing. The way I have my mill set up the extra 3/8 of an inch, seems to work pretty well.

If I sell 8/4 I want to try and have it plan to 2 inches, unlike BORG who sells 2 by that actually measures 1 1/2 inches. You can always surface thinner if you want too, but you simply can't go thicker.

J

jeff...

Bob I'll cut you 2 out and seal them up in ancorseal tomorrow.

Thanks

Here's a batch of the curly sycamore pen blanks that's going to Clowman tomorrow. I know they look like they have been cross cut but they haven’t, it's the stripe in the grain. I dried these in the microwave, 16 4/4 blanks for six 5 min cycles on high. Bound in square, with wide rubber bands and separated with popsicle sticks. These are by far the easiest blanks I've dried with the microwave yet. Lost one blank out of 16 which I knew I would anyways it was just an extra one to keep the stack tight. The blanks dried straight and no cracks, way better than oak burl or crotch.

Attachments

• Nov06$24.JPG
    Nov06$24.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 171

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Here's a batch of the curly sycamore pen blanks that's going to Clowman tomorrow.

:eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

I can't wait to get into these! They look great.

J

jeff...

Just wanted to let everyone know.

* 8/4 Black Walnut lumber have been sold
* 6"x11"x5' American Sycamore turning slab has been sold
* 4"x18"x9' American Sycamore turning slab has been sold
* 5.5"x11"x9' American Sycamore turning slab is waiting for a response

If I don't hear a response on the 5.5"x11"x9' American Sycamore turning slab by tomorrow evening, I'll re-list it for sale.

Thanks to all who have purchased the materials, I'll see you all Saturday morning in Apex.

DavidF

New User
David
The walnut should dry and plan walnut to 8/4. I try and float around 9/4, because it sure is nice to work with full 2 inch thick boards once it's dry and surfaced. I set the mill scale to give me an extra quarter inch. So really 4/4 is cut at 5/4 +1/8, 5/4 at 6/4+1/8, 8/4 at 9/4+1/8, etc... The wood mizer quarter scale gives you an extra 1/8 anyways.

When I was taking logs to sawyers before I got my mill, I would tell them 4/4 and that's what I got was 4/4, when my lumber dried and I planed it, I was lucky to get 3/4 when I really wanted 4/4. Some boards didn't make it to 3/4, I think they call that cull. So I had to tell them 5/4, then I could get 3/4. If I wanted 4/4 finished lumber I would have to tell them 6/4 and do a lot of planing. The way I have my mill set up the extra 3/8 of an inch, seems to work pretty well.

If I sell 8/4 I want to try and have it plan to 2 inches, unlike BORG who sells 2 by that actually measures 1 1/2 inches. You can always surface thinner if you want too, but you simply can't go thicker.

Think yourself lucky you're not dealing in two systems. In England, if the wood is rough sawn it is measured in Inches, once planed it becomes metric! so rough 2 x 4 is just that, 2" x 4" once planed it is sold as 47mm x 97mm!

J

jeff...

I really do think myself blessed to be an American. I've read some pretty weird stuff about how logs are measured in other countries, like by the string. What exactly a sting is expressed in board foot, I have no idea.

But in England when figuring up board foot rough lumber or BF lumber on the stump or in a log, is it still expressed in BF or something else? Is measurement only change to metric once it's planed? If so then I would assume the logging industry in England has yet to adopt the metric system of measurement.

Thanks

J

jeff...

I havn't heard a response from the person who orginally wanted some bowl blanks from the 5 1/2"x11"x9' - 45 board foot) slab. If you’re interested in purchasing 5 1/2"x11x11" American sycamore turning blanks for $10.00 a piece from this slab, please send me a private message.

I will be in Apex around 10:00 Saturday morning so you could pick up then. However I simply can not take any requests after tommorow evening. Also please keep in mind this lumber is GREEN, fresh off the log green. I'll fully coat the blocks in ancorseal to give them the best chance I know of to prevent cracking.

Thanks

J

jeff...

Eveything that was for sale has been sold, thank you everyone :-D:icon_thum, I'll see you saturday morning.

I think we can go ahead and close this thread now.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS