Free Wild Cherry Limbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mburke911

New User
Mark
Hello Everyone,

A friend of mine, who knows I am interested in woodworking, has recently had a wild cherry tree drop two 20' long by 12" thick branches. He thinks they are much nicer than simply firewood so he offered them to me. Well I don't have a lathe yet... and I don't really want to mill it and dry it.

So if there is anyone out there who would want it your welcome to it. The limbs are located in Kings Mountain (1-85 around Exit 15 or so). You have to come and get it.

Drop me an IM or an email mburke (at) biosys (dot) biz

Mark

CherryBranch

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Just an FYI. Limb wood usually does not make good lumber; there is too much tension in it and it moves all over the place while drying.

I'm not sure about turning it; but it's not worth messing with for milling and drying.

Scott

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Dang wrong place again.I am still in Tampa untill easter,but if I was there I would love to get it.Its true Cherry is a bugger for warping,but I love turning it.I think it turns out some beautifull pieces that make the effort all worth while

mburke911

New User
Mark
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info. Makes sense. I figured it simply isn't enough wood to be worth it. I also don't have any idea about the turning part.

Is Cotton wood of any use beyond firewood?

mark

Skye

New User
Skye
I had a wild cherry tree in my front yard drop a limb. I noticed the middle of the limb had a nice blossom of dark colors in it. I let it dry, some of it split (I didn't seal the ends), some didn't, but I'm defiantly glad I kept it.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Just an FYI. Limb wood usually does not make good lumber; there is too much tension in it and it moves all over the place while drying.

I'm not sure about turning it; but it's not worth messing with for milling and drying.

Scott

Right on brother - limbs hang there vertical all their life. Anything above the crotch is firewood. Unless your a crazy turner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS