Free sycamore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
We were leaving the neighborhood this morning to visit our daughter in Raleigh. One of my neighbors had a tree removal company cutting down a 4 trunk sycamore about 50-60 ft tall. I stopped and asked if they would save me some for turning blanks. They said I could have all I wanted. My SIL had borrowed my trailor and the only thing I could get in the SUV was 3 pieces about 20" long by 14" diameter. I stopped by this afternoon to get them and noticed that the trunk from which these pieces came was dead and some cracks were running from the outside into the sapwood for about an inch. I didn't realize when I stopped, that part of the tree was dead. Had I known, I think I would have asked for some green wood. There is a lot of heartwood in these sections so I still should get some decent sized bowls from them. The bark is off these sections and I wonder if it is dry throughout or still some green in the interior. Should I seal these or not. BTW, that is some stinking wood...it smells sour or like a wet dog, or worse.

How well does sycamore turn.

The tree folks were there from about 9 am and left at 7:20 PM tonight. They cut it, hauled it away, and ground what was a huge stump. I'm sure there was a huge bill for almost a 12 hr day. Anybody got any idea of the cost of something like this?

JRD

New User
Jim
Turns very well.

I've made a few bowls from it and enjoyed the process and the finished product.

Jim

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Most rotten wood does stink until it dries - you should experience beech, it smells just like beer, WO smells like strong tea and RO smell like puke. Some of the worst is black walnut, man does that stuff stink it's just down right nasty :( Syacmore is mild in comparison to some...

Dragon

New User
David
So far, I've managed to get hold of one Sycamore trunk that was hollowed out by nature and rot. It did have a bit of smell like a damp basement until it dried out but it made a beautiful table base. Pics are in my gallery. Would like to get hold of a few more stumps/trunks but time, money, and storage facilities are a problem at present.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
So far, I've managed to get hold of one Sycamore trunk that was hollowed out by nature and rot. It did have a bit of smell like a damp basement until it dried out but it made a beautiful table base. Pics are in my gallery. Would like to get hold of a few more stumps/trunks but time, money, and storage facilities are a problem at present.

I turned a piece of it today. Have a rough turned bowl about 9 1/2" diameter It was still green and smelled like mildew and puke all rolled into one. It turned well but my shop stinks. I guess I'll seal the ends of the other pieces and hope no major cracks occur. As bad as it smells, I don't know when it'll get turned. Glad I didn't get any more of it than I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS